Five questions with Livingston Avenue Bridge project manager, Richard Filkins, PE. of the New York State Department of Transportation (Region 1)

Martin Daley

Oct 5, 2011, 9:49:37 AM10/5/11
to Livingston Ave. Rail Road Bridge Coalition

1) What is the timetable for the Livingston Ave. Bridge Project?

The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) is in the
preliminary design phase for the project. The alternatives we are
considering now include rehabilitation, replacement on the existing
alignment and existing on an immediately adjacent alignment. Bicycle
and pedestrian access will be considered separately regardless of
which alternative goes forward.

We are planning a public information meeting soon, but we do not yet
have a date. We want to make sure our meeting does not conflict with
meetings being scheduled for the Tier 1 Environmental Impact Study for
the Empire Corridor. Once those meetings are scheduled, we will be
able to schedule our meeting.

We are scheduled to complete our environmental process and get design
approval in fall of 2012. Final design and construction funding has
not yet been identified so there is no schedule for construction. We
have not yet chosen a preferred alternative.

2) Are the bike and pedestrian accommodations part of the new design
for the bridge?

NYSDOT is aware that bicycle and pedestrian access to the bridge has a
level of support in the community. We had a meeting in September 2010
with the Capital District Transportation Committee and several
advocates for bike/ped access including the Cities of Albany and
Rensselaer. We have also received correspondence in support of
bicycle and pedestrian access on the bridge. Accommodations will be
considered for the bridge as part of our preliminary design/
environmental process. No decision has been made yet. Bicycle and
pedestrian accommodations are not necessary for or precluded by any of
the alternatives and will be considered independent of the
alternatives.

3) We understand there has been any push back against the
accommodations by the CSX and Amtrak. Has this been resolved?

While we have had preliminary discussions with the railroads and the
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regarding the bicycle/pedestrian
issue, none have yet given us an official position on bicycle and
pedestrian access for the Livingston Avenue Bridge.

4) Has FRA expressed a preference on this?

NYSDOT has been coordinating with the railroads and with FRA on many
issues associated with several projects throughout the Empire
Corridor. While we consider this issue to be important, other
projects are much closer to construction and more urgent. We cannot
move forward on the bicycle/pedestrian access until we can coordinate
with the railroads and the FRA on the issue. We expect that this will
happen soon. The ultimate decisions on all project related issues,
including bicycle and pedestrian access will rest with FRA, since they
are lead National Environmental Policy Act* (NEPA) agency and they are
providing the project preliminary design funding.

* NEPA is a federal law that established a national policy promoting
the enhancement of the environment. NEPA established requirements for
all federal government agencies to prepare Environmental Assessments
(EAs) and Environmental Impact Statements (EISs). EAs and EISs contain
statements of the environmental effects of proposed federal agency
actions. NEPA’s procedural requirements apply to all federal agencies
in the executive branch.