UG

Paul Kinlan

Jul 31, 2008, 4:00:37 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

Are we all still on for tonight?  Who is going?  Are we still at Thoms office?

The Silverlight talk will be a code walk through so there should be no presentation slides required - phew.  (ps the UI looks a bit naff, but it will hopefully demonstrate a point.).

We will be making an RSS Reader and feed manager that will hopefully demonstrate some of things that you can now do in Silverlight 2 Beta 2 such as:
  1. XAML
    1. Basic Positioning/Panels
    2. DataBinding & DataTemplates & ValueConverters
    3. Styling (I have no style so be warned!)
    4. Animation (this will be very brief as I am still learning what to do)
  2. Isolated Storage
  3. WebRequests
    1. Cross Domain - caveats and policies
    2. Asynchronous
  4. WCF Syndication Service
  5. User Controls

There are some pre-requisites that are required if you want to be able to follow along:

I was going to look into expression blend, but that crashed too so I have not even had the chance to try it in anger.

See you all there!

Paul.

ps. Visual Studio randomly crashes on every machine I have tried this on so expect a fun night.

Thom Shannon

Jul 31, 2008, 5:43:26 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
who's coming tonight? we can either use the office or the conference room down the hall, if we're in the office then we've got the big screen, but there isnt that much room. We only need a projector if we're in the conf room.
--
*** OPEN COFFEE - http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/833196/ ***

Terms & Conditions Apply: http://www.glow-internet.com/home/terms.aspx

Glow New Media
t: 0151 707 9770
m: 07730 987 574
www.glow-internet.com

Suite 712 Gostins Building
32-36 Hanover Street
Liverpool
L1 4LN

Map: http://tinyurl.com/2f5nxd

Hakim Cassimally

Jul 31, 2008, 5:44:56 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, can't make it tonight as I'm in Edinburgh.
Hope the talk goes well,

Michael James

Jul 31, 2008, 6:12:23 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
I have a projector with me so we have that covered. Is it worth
someone bringing the files on a pen stick just in case some one
forgets to install?

I'm hoping there's enough for the conference room, otherwise my lugging
of a projector and getting a dirty tshirt was for nothing ;)

--
Regards,

Michael James
m. 07793-113-556
e. mi...@mjjames.co.uk
twitter. mjjames

Paul Kinlan

Jul 31, 2008, 6:14:14 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
I think I have the files on my laptop so if needs be we can connect in some magic way (I don't have a pen stick) to my pc and get it from there.  The silverlight SDK takes a while to install.

I am not too sure how many people there will be :(

Paul.

Thom Shannon

Jul 31, 2008, 7:33:48 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com

Derek Fowler

Jul 31, 2008, 8:39:32 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
I am totally there provided the guys here remind me and I don't forget and go home.

Paul Kinlan

Jul 31, 2008, 10:09:17 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
This may solve all our problems ;)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1441300.html

Paul Kinlan

Jul 31, 2008, 10:42:44 AM7/31/08
to liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
Before I forget,

It is very very likely that you will need this for the UG, it is a datastructure for an OPML file.

Paul.

2008/7/31 Paul Kinlan <paul....@gmail.com>
opml.cs