Functional Programming night at Geekup ?

Hakim Cassimally

Apr 20, 2011, 9:34:01 AM4/20/11
to geekup, Liverpool Linux User Group, liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We've been talking in the Room of Things about running a "Functional
Programming night" at Liverpool Geekup, possibly in May (but that's up
to John McKerrell, our glorious geekup leader!)

I'd be happy to give a short (20-30 mins?) talk on Haskell: what it
is, why it's interesting, and a few examples of using it to solve a
Real World problem.

But that leaves space for at least one more talk - any volunteers?

I enjoyed Martin Owen's talk on Erlang, and Chris Alcock's on F# back
in... 2008, would be really happy to see an updated version of either
of those, but something new would be great too.

Adrian reminds me that Simon Johnson was giving a talk on Lisp at
LivLug some time back, this would also be very much on-topic.

Cheers,

Hakim
@osfameron

Hakim Cassimally

Apr 21, 2011, 10:53:04 AM4/21/11
to Liverpool Linux User Group, geekup, liverpoolus...@googlegroups.com
Great!

So that's

- a Haskell talk
- a Lisp (implementation) talk
- ??

anyone else? I'd love to see, for example, something on one of the
corporate stack FP technologies (.Net's F#, or JVM's Scala) or perhaps
something on Functional Programming in Python, Javascript or similar
;-)

As the talks will be at Geekup, I think a it's probably best to assume
a "general interest in IT/programming" level, as opposed to going too
deep into gory details. (We can save those for the post-meeting chat
and beer ;-)

Cheers,
Hakim