changing font increases file size

Francesco P.

Mar 9, 2021, 3:15:27 PM3/9/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hi everyone,
I'm glad I found this group. i need help.
I am forced to use an existing form but i would like to fix it a bit. specifically, there are often different fonts within the document. however, when I go to replace the Myriad Pro font with Times New Roman, the file grows considerably in size just by changing the font in a single field. Thank you for your help

fred.pantalone

Mar 9, 2021, 3:26:54 PM3/9/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hi there,

This is happening because the font is being embedded. You can choose to not embed fonts but then you run the risk of your form not appearing as you intended if someone opens it without one of the fonts you are using.

To disable embedding, go here: File / Form Properties... / Save Options / PDF / uncheck Embed Fonts

Fred

Duane Nickull

Mar 9, 2021, 11:50:51 PM3/9/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Correct. Due to licensing restrictions, some fonts cannot be embedded in the PDF clients.  They therefore have to be embedded in the form.

This is a very rare and obscure fact about PDF

;-)

Duane Nickull

******************************
Speaking only for myself
Consulting and Contracting; Proven Results!
i.  AgensGraph, Websites, Web-app, PDF, PHP, Java, LiveCycle & Mobile
w. https://Webstationhq.com
s. Bootstrap 4.3*, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3+, PHP & more
t.  @duanenickull

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. If you are the intended recipient, please consider this a privileged communication, not to be forwarded without explicit approval from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. The originator reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks for quality control purposes.

Francesco P.

Mar 10, 2021, 11:29:08 AM3/10/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers

Thanks for your answers, I seemed to have understood something like this by reading online. I just opened the form I am using and the option you indicated is already deselected. I tried again but the problem is still there. also I wonder, is this possible with Times New Roman font, it should be a standard font

Duane Nickull

Mar 10, 2021, 2:23:09 PM3/10/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
I used to work for Adobe and they were always legally conservative about these things. If memory serves me correctly, "Times Roman" is one of the dozen or so default fonts within Acrobat Reader.  I do not recall if "New Times Roman" is. Technical, they are different fonts.

Having said that, you will have to dig into your PFD package to see what is going on.  The standard NTR font should only add about 300-400 KB to your file *assuming *.ttf).  Note that there are proprietary versions of NTR as well.  Not sure which ones you are using. What is the size difference in files before and after embedding your font?

Duane Nickull
Always available for consulting gigs on this stuff....

Francesco

Mar 10, 2021, 3:06:13 PM3/10/21
to live...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.
Changing the font to a single field increases by about 500Kb and so every time I change one.
Can you suggest me what to look for inside the file?
I noticed that when I open the form with Livecycle a popup comes out that reads:
the target verison for this form was set to lower than Acrobat and Adobe Reader 9.0 Livecycle Designer ES no longer supports this version, and automatically changes the target version to Acrobat and Adobe 9.0 To choose another target version, use the Target Version Option on the Defaults tab in the Form Properties dialog box.

This form may contain legacy content such as XFT templates and / or text formatting and event handeling rules compatible with Adobe Reader 6.02. Livecycle Designer 8.0 or later supports improved text formatting and event-handeling rules, which result in more predictable and consistent behavior when the file is viewed. To update the text formatting rules and event handeling, go to the compatibility tab in the Form Properties dialog box.

proceeding the file already increases the size a little but later by changing the font it increases again each time

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Adobe LiveCycle Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/livecycle/CAGcT38CTwWWqV_uM%3DjzCycO73%3D6_64T6wcEw2VxfMHWge7Mkew%40mail.gmail.com.

fred.pantalone

Mar 11, 2021, 8:30:19 AM3/11/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
The size of the pdf will only increase when you add a different embedded font. It will not increase every time you modify a field to use the same font. For example, the first time you changed a field to use Times New Roman will cause the font to be embedded (if the option to embed is selected) and this accounts for the extra 500 kB or so in the file size. Subsequent uses of Times New Roman will not cause an increase in the file size.

Fred

Duane Nickull

Mar 11, 2021, 10:49:30 AM3/11/21
to live...@googlegroups.com
Something is very wrong if this happens every time you change a field font. Once the font is embedded, the file size growth should be limited to the additional "Model" data that declares the font on that field. It should not re-embed a new copy of the complete font file with each field change.

I currently don't have a Windows machine nor do I run Acrobat Pro on my Ubuntu or OSX machines anymore.  Perhaps one of the others who has the LC Designer or AB Pro can take a look at your form?

Duane

--
Copyright 2019 - 2020    WebStation Global Business Solutions, Inc.

Duane Nickull

Mar 11, 2021, 10:50:37 AM3/11/21
to live...@googlegroups.com
Whoops - apologies for the duplicate. I'm reading my email early on the West Coast in the wrong order without enough coffee.

Duane

--
Copyright 2019 - 2020    WebStation Global Business Solutions, Inc.