Automate LCA file from lower to higher environments ?

ysa...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2021, 6:54:30 AM7/14/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hi All,

Hope all doing good these covid times.

Just wanted to know suggestions/ideas/internal adobe feature on how can we automate lca file deployments from lower to higher environments  without performing manual archive and deploy in another environment.

Any leads from lower DB to higher DB movement for any single application between two environments ?

Thanks,
Abhilash

fred.pantalone

Jul 19, 2021, 10:36:36 AM7/19/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hi there,

There is a documented API for exporting and importing LCAs. Have you see it?:

What DB content are you asking about moving from a lower env to a higher env? Process and Task data? Don't even bother trying to do this. It's a bad idea and I can't think of a good reason to even consider it. If you're referring to application data then you'll have to just write your own migration queries and inserts...

I hope this helps,
Fred

Rob McDougall

Jul 19, 2021, 10:57:02 AM7/19/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
This is an excellent question and one that I wish more customers would ask...

Adobe includes a series of ant tasks for creating and deploying LCAs in the SDK that comes with the JEE version.  The documentation has been removed from the Adobe site but can be found in Wayback machine.

This gives you the basics.  It only includes tasks for managing LCAs.  We've written our own code to do some additional ancillary non-LCA tasks that you often need to do such as deploying a custom DSC, importing/exporting resources and importing/exporting service configurations and modifying service endpoint configurations.

Automated deployment is an important step in configuration management.  When I'm developing LCAs, I generally do so on my local developer machine and then check in the result to source code control.  I then use automated deployment to push it out to (and configure on) the testing and production servers.  It takes some work to get it working at first, but it pays off in spades in the long run (both in terms of speed of deployment to higher environments and in lack of manual errors).

Regards,
Rob

Rob McDougall

Jul 19, 2021, 11:02:01 AM7/19/21
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
This!

Fred is pointing you to the APIs that the ant tasks (both the Adobe ones and our custom ones) use.

If you would rather bypass Ant and use the APIs directly, these are the ones to use.

Regards,
Rob

Duane Nickull

Jul 27, 2021, 10:16:15 PM7/27/21
to live...@googlegroups.com
I want to also point out that as an ex Adobe employee who specialized in LiveCycle, you have two of the finest experts in this field helping you. If you get stuck, I highly recommend contracting with either to help you moving forward.  They know more that most.

Cheers

Duane Nickull

Copyright 2019 - 2021  WebStation Global Business Solutions, Inc.

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are to be considered confidential information. If you are the intended recipient, please consider this a privileged communication, not to be forwarded without explicit approval from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. The originator reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks for quality control purposes.