Expanding form fields with multiple pages - Any help appreciated

Candice

May 22, 2012, 2:57:32 PM5/22/12
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hi everyone! I am so thankful I came across this group. I am pulling
my hair out creating a form that's more complex than ones I have
created in the past. What I am trying to do is have expanding form
fields that will flow across multiple pages. So far, the fields are
okay but I'm looking to have two columns on the page - one that will
have expanding form fields that flow to the next page and one that
will stay static. I've tried using content areas, multiple subforms,
etc and just can't get it to work.

I am completely open to restructuring the form in a different layout
if the one I have is too complicated or inefficient.

I can send the form or attach if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Candice Henderson

Nathan Brunaugh

May 22, 2012, 3:43:49 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Candice,
Check out my youtube video on the process of "form flow":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNki6UwJFeA&list=UU6E8WlISDmgiyyq5ZWk-nVw&index=5&feature=plcp

-Nathan

Candice

May 22, 2012, 3:47:12 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
The form is attached for your review (test revised - 508K) along with the first version that I created to show an example of the layout.

ILT Event Request Form (test revised).pdf
ILT Event Request Form (test revised).pdf

Candice

May 22, 2012, 4:06:41 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Nathan!  I have watched that one a couple of times but it's a bit different from what I am looking to do.  I have the expanding fields set okay but am stumped with trying to have two different areas on the form - one positioned and one flowed.

MANOJ KUMAR DARISI

May 22, 2012, 4:28:39 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Candice,

Is the blank page in you form is your problem or somethingelse

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Candice <cand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Nathan!  I have watched that one a couple of times but it's a bit different from what I am looking to do.  I have the expanding fields set okay but am stumped with trying to have two different areas on the form - one positioned and one flowed.

Jono Moore

May 22, 2012, 4:59:00 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
It isn't easy to do what you're trying to do, Designer isn't really designed to handle flowed columns.

Here are a few links with examples, something in one of these may help.

howard hayakawa

May 22, 2012, 6:15:42 PM5/22/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Candice,

It's a pain but I solve this by using subforms within table cells.  The subform in the left cell flows and the one on the right is positioned.   It's easier to show than explain.

See the sample.

Howard

acrobat group help-ILT Event Request Form (sample 2).pdf
Message has been deleted

Candice

May 24, 2012, 1:10:10 PM5/24/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Howard.  Using tables was the way I was thinking of going.  In the sample you posted, the fields are expanding but not shifting the fields below it down onto the next page. Looks like pagination can't be set for the flowing subform on the left.

Thanks in advance again!

howard hayakawa

May 24, 2012, 1:11:32 PM5/24/12
to live...@googlegroups.com

I'm out of the office and will see what I left out when I get back.

On May 24, 2012 12:08 PM, "Candice" <cand...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Howard.  Using tables was the way I was thinking of going.  In the sample you posted, the fields are expanding but not shifting the fields below it down onto the next page. Looks like pagination can't be set for the flowing subform on the left.

Thanks in advance again!

howard hayakawa

May 24, 2012, 5:35:29 PM5/24/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Strange because it work for me.  I tested in Adobe Acrobat 9.  What viewer are you using?

Howard

Candice

May 29, 2012, 10:03:40 AM5/29/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
I tested in Acrobat 8 Pro and Reader 9.  Each time I add text to the fields that are set to expand, they overlap over the bottom subform that is set to Positioned.

howard hayakawa

May 29, 2012, 1:23:34 PM5/29/12
to live...@googlegroups.com
Pro 8 and Reader 9 should work fine.

  1. Page is set to flow, page break and continue filling parent.
  2. No restrictions on Masterpage occurrence.
  3. Field within the left table cell should expand and make the table expand vertically.
  4. The bottom subform should move down accordingly.  It's set to page break so the part that doesn't fit will move to the next page.
  5. Bottom subform is set to positioned for this demo.  That prevents the expanding "web conf info" field from working properly.  I didn't feel like refining that part.  You will need to make it flow.
Someone else will need to jump in.  I can't fix what's working on my system and there is a limit to how much I can do for free.

Howard

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/livecycle/-/HbGFi5Tt7PYJ.