How do you distinguish among all the editions of the Rub

Scot Kamins

Feb 22, 2010, 3:55:57 PM2/22/10
to Little Blue Books
Hi Folks,

No posts here in quite a while so I thought I'd ask a question that's
been bugging me.

There are allegedly eight or more versions of rubaiyat of omar
khayyam. I've got two --presumedly the newest ones. But how do you
distinguish among them all?

Thanks and I hope everyone is well,

-Scot Kamins

book...@qx.net

Feb 22, 2010, 9:00:51 PM2/22/10
to little-b...@googlegroups.com
Scot,

I've come across 5 editions of #1. The Axe list is unreliable when it comes to counting editions. Technically a new edition is determined by a
significant (usually defined as half)resetting of type. I don't think the people doing the Axe list had clear criteria so as useful as the work is in
some ways much of it is problematic. Just because something says Second Edition does not really make it a different edition from the first. Unless
the type has been reset the "Second Edition" is considered a second printing of the first edition. So what according to the Axe list were the first 4
editions of #1 were almost surely done from the same setting of type and in my bibliography are just minor variations of the same edition.

For the best explanation of what is meant by edition, impression, etc. see The Principles of Bibliographic Description, by Fredson Bowers. ABC for
Book Collectors, by John Carter is also worth having around.

Hope this helps,

Jake

Feb 22, 2010, 9:08:07 PM2/22/10
to little-b...@googlegroups.com
Jake,

Many thanks for this!

And speaking of your biblio, any expected date yet?

Scot Kamins
Practice kindness

book...@qx.net

Feb 22, 2010, 9:35:18 PM2/22/10
to little-b...@googlegroups.com
The bibliography is pretty much done. I've got a couple more collections to look at this summer. I've completed the name index and now working on the
summer and then try to find someone to publish it.

The bibliography is pretty much done. I've got a couple more collections to look at this summer. I've completed the name index and now working on the
summer and then try to find someone to publish it.

I'll be looking forward to getting my own copy!  :-)