RE: Re: [little-blue-books:223] New Article by Bill Palmer

book...@qx.net

Sep 13, 2010, 5:13:09 PM9/13/10
to little-b...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill and Others,

Interesting article, Bill. In addition to the three instances you found of the inverted page 64 I know of two other printings with that flaw.
Both were earlier than the Appeal Pocket Series. There were two printings of the People’s Pocket Series between the PPS you have w/o the flaw and the
APS printing you note with it.

Looks like there were 5 printings with the inverted page but they came out in a relatively short period of time. The earliest was around the end
of 1921 to early 1922, the latest came very late 1922 to early 1923.

A new setting of type, a new edition, was prepared for the printing that had a Ten Cent wrapper with two ads on the back. I have never seen that
edition with a Five Cent Pocket or Pocket Series wrapper. It was printed as a Little Blue Book with a small number, likely late 1923 and then printed
at least another seven times. The last two printings were likely in the 1950’s.

I hope that helps.

Jake Gibbs

Sep 15, 2010, 9:28:58 PM9/15/10
to little-b...@googlegroups.com
Jake,

Thanks for a reply on LBB#50- I am about to travel for 6 weeks, so
will probably redo the essay with extra information later. I suppose I
come to LBB collection with a background of philately where errors
have the capacity to make stamps more valuable. It does not appear to
be the case with books, but I am trying to make the point that errors
can be informative.

BTW any comment on error #190 instead of #50. Has this been observed
elsewhere? Or the consistent black mark. " Page 64 is included the
right way up, but there is a large black mark which appears never to
have been corrected"

Thanks - have to finish!

Bill