We ride again on November 1

Roxane Gay

Oct 29, 2011, 1:31:24 PM10/29/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Hi LMCers,

I just wanted to check in with you fine folks as we approach November 1. This month, we'll be reading the first issue of Beecher’s, the graduate student run literary magazine from the University of Kansas.

Beecher’s is selling the issue at a 40% discount for LMC Members. Take them up on that bargain–$6.50 for a great literary magazine which is beautifully designed and produced–you can’t pass that up. To take advantage of this discount, go to http://www.beechersmag.com/2011/10/htmlgiant-book-club/. Enter the password HTMLGIANT.  This will take them to a secure Paypal portal on the Beecher’s website for you to complete your order.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post or some other feature related to Beecher’s, get in touch with me. Topics you might consider discussing include the design, content, overall aesthetic, whether the magazine met your expectations, if the debut is promising, what the magazine contributes to the literary scene, etc. You might also do an in-depth analysis of one writer’s work, etc. There are no limits.

I'm really excited about this magazine. The pages are so so pretty. Let me know if you have any questions. We ride again!

Future club selections:
January 2012: Versal
March 2012: Salt Hill
May 2012: Trnsfr
July 2012: Uncanny Valley
September 2012: J Journal: New Writing on Justice

Joe Johaneman

Nov 10, 2011, 3:37:55 PM11/10/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if I'm missing something.  Have the conversations moved somewhere else and I've missed it?  The only email I've gotten in months is this one from Roxanne.  Is there anybody else out there?  Is this an announcements only list?  Totally confused.  Somebody help!  LOL.
"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Steve Jobs

Roxane Gay

Nov 10, 2011, 3:41:49 PM11/10/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
HI Joe,

This list is fairly low traffic. Sometimes people discuss the magazine, other times they don't. I wish people discussed more. If you would like to write a guest post about Beecher's (which would be wonderful), please do send it to me. Other than that, I use this Google Group for announcements and the like.

Cheers,
Roxane

Joe Johaneman

Nov 10, 2011, 3:43:51 PM11/10/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Roxanne.  BTW, glad to see the list of upcoming mags, but do you have issue #s for the print mags that we'll be reading.

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Steve Jobs

Karin Kessler

Nov 10, 2011, 7:09:06 PM11/10/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been on list for months.

Karin kessler

Sent from my iPhone

Bonnie ZoBell

Nov 10, 2011, 7:44:11 PM11/10/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I like to be involved again, too. Haven't gotten anything in months. If we can know the names of the magazines and the issue numbers ahead of time, I'd be happy to write something.

Bonnie

Richard Santos

Nov 11, 2011, 1:49:17 AM11/11/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
There's a list of the upcoming lit mags on the group site. And I'd assume that we'll be reading whatever issue is current at that time--so none of them are likely out yet other than Beecher's.

Ryan Rafferty

Nov 12, 2011, 1:49:07 PM11/12/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Roxane=

Think I'm jumping on board with Beecher's too late in the game. Ordering the issue on Monday - when is the latest you want pieces on the issue?

Also, can we write anything our heart desires about the magazine? Or are you looking for specific formats/thoughts?

Looking forward to the LMC picking up again and seeing soem messages from the Google group that don't have anything to do with penis enlargement and porn.

=Ryan Rafferty

Karin Kessler

Nov 12, 2011, 1:56:01 PM11/12/11
to litma...@googlegroups.com, litma...@googlegroups.com