17 Literary journals That Might Survive The Internet

Joseph Johaneman

Aug 15, 2010, 10:18:35 AM8/15/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
This was on HuffPo yesterday.  Figured we might find some of these lit mags interesting to review.  Some of them are obviously no surprise.

Contributing Editor at Apple Thoughts
----
Joe Johaneman

Owen

Aug 16, 2010, 4:18:29 AM8/16/10
to LMC: Literary Magazine Club
I don't know, Joseph, I found this article pretty uninsightful, not to
mention deluded . . . what I found truly saddening was the readers'
comments. Certainly, the attitudes and shallowness expressed by these
people are nothing new to me, but still, reading and hearing comments
from people like this always seems to depress me.

One of the people commenting actually tries to claim that people who
are under 30 don't read. Is he serious? Again, this belief is nothing
new to me, but that doesn't make it any less baffling and depressing
when I hear or read it being expressed.

At any rate, too many of these people are clearly quite confused about
what they think literary art is supposed to be and especially what
they, personally, actually want out of literature.

Although the Huffington Post is perhaps not quite scraping the very
bottom off the barrel, just yet, among readers of literature, they
seem to be uncomfortably close to it.

As for the magazines themselves -- those which are listed in the
article: sorry, Joseph, I do not happen to find any of them very
interesting -- except, perhaps, for the Iowa Review, in which I
believe I recall having seen some good and interesting material, in
the past, but again this is not really a journal I'd be interested in
reviewing.

On Aug 15, 10:18 am, Joseph Johaneman <jejohane...@me.com> wrote:
> This was on HuffPo yesterday.  Figured we might find some of these lit mags interesting to review.  Some of them are obviously no surprise.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anis-shivani/anis-shivani17-literary-j_...

> Contributing Editor at Apple Thoughts
> ----
> Joe Johaneman
> jejohane...@me.com
> My Home Page

Alex Cook

Aug 16, 2010, 9:43:29 AM8/16/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Owen -

What ones would you suggest we look at?

Also, out of curiosity, are you a writer and if so, do you submit your work to literary journals?

Alex V. Cook

Owen Kaelin

Aug 17, 2010, 10:50:54 AM8/17/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am a writer (owenkaelin.blogspot.com), though my list of of accepted submissions is pretty unimpressive.

I haven't submitted anything in a long time. One can get discouraged, after a while, and plus I haven't been writing as much lately as I used to, but enough about me.

In case you're interested, I also run the Gone Lawn Excavation Project (http://gonelawn.com), a catalog for writers, readers and editors. I have another project in the plans that will be more comprehensive.

As for your other question: I think NYTyrant was a good place to start, and I'm not sure I'd want to be the one to suggest to Roxane where I think we should go next, but since you asked: I like No Colony, Marginalia, Vulcan... Snow Monkey is no longer a print mag but only web... there really are a lot of journals I still have to get my hands on. Money's a difficult issue.

There are also some magazines -- and rapid turnover is the problem, here, I'm almost sure (I suppose this would be the college-based ones, but where else do editors get their funding? Funding a print mag is hard, much less marketing it) -- I've noticed that there are some who'll put out, say, one magnificent issue (like 580 Split #6, say), only to follow it up with one that's not so remarkable.

I'll put the rest of my commentary into the other thread.