Details, Details.

Roxane Gay

Aug 25, 2010, 11:35:11 PM8/25/10
to LMC: Literary Magazine Club
Hi All,

If you haven't ordered New York Tyrant 8 yet, please do so. If you
have already ordered your issue or are one of the people receiving the
free issue, I believe you will receive your copy this week. During the
month of October, we'll discuss this book both here and via a series
of posts on HTMLGIANT.

Here's what I have in mind so far.

We'll do a chat with the editor (and maybe some of the contributors)
online at some point in October. I'll do an introductory post to the
issue to get things started and I think it would be awesome if some of
you wrote guest posts about pieces you want to discuss critically that
we can post throughout the month to keep the conversation going.

Any other ideas? (I know a couple of you made some suggestions via e-
mail but those got lost in the shuffle.) Any volunteers for the guest
posts?

In November we will read an online magazine and in December we'll read
another print magazine.

Sam Ligon, the editor of Willow Springs has offered to contribute some
free copies to our endeavor. I don't know how many but if you would
like to read that magazine I'm throwing that out there.

Ploughshares has also offered us a discount on their magazine.
Normally a subscription is $30, but they are offering subscriptions
for $22 if we choose to read them for our club. The managing editor
writes:

"Our staff would also be happy to interact with the discussion group.
And, Jim Shepard (who guest-edited our Fall issue) is coming to
Emerson's campus to speak in October. Should Ploughshares be used in a
discussion group before that time, anyone with questions for Jim could
send them to us ahead of time, and we could ask him on camera. The
footage is then posted on YouTube/our blog and website, at which point
the questioner could hear the answer."

While October won't work for us, that's something to keep in mind for
the future.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I am really looking forward
to our first discussion.

Cheers,
Roxane

Patricia Lockwood

Aug 26, 2010, 3:35:40 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I received my copy today--thanks, Roxane! I'm not known for my critical thinking but I would be happy to do an "illustration" of Sean Kilpatrick's awesome piece. From each according to his ability, etc.

Joseph Riippi

Aug 26, 2010, 3:38:41 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I'll happily do a guest post but am waiting on my copy to arrive. Will call shotgun on something once it does.

Thanks again for putting this together, Roxane. Should be fun.

Joe
--
Joseph Riippi

www.josephriippi.com

giancarlo ditrapano

Aug 26, 2010, 3:46:36 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
The last of the copies were mailed out on Monday using media mail so they should be arriving to each of you very soon.

Giancarlo DiTrapano
NY TYRANT BOOKS
676A 9th Ave. #153 NYC 10036

Dustin Luke Nelson

Aug 26, 2010, 3:46:29 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I'd also be glad to write about a piece in here. I've got mine, haven't paged it yet, but I'll pick something out and let you know.

Dustin Nelson

dan wickett

Aug 26, 2010, 3:47:52 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Mine arrived today too.

Dan Wickett

Robb Todd

Aug 26, 2010, 3:48:34 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Got mine yesterday. Thanks.

Amy Sprague

Aug 26, 2010, 3:50:40 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Yep got mine!

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Meginnis

Aug 26, 2010, 3:52:01 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Haven't got mine yet, but I'm imagining at the moment I'll try to write something about the arrangement of the thing as a whole, if that makes sense when I see it. Always interested in how people choose to order things.

mike

James McGirk

Aug 26, 2010, 3:54:38 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Got mine too! Snazzy!

Brendan White

Aug 26, 2010, 4:00:49 PM8/26/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Just decided to check my mail after seeing all these messages, and there it is!

Owen Kaelin

Aug 27, 2010, 3:01:31 AM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Hope I'll get mine tomorrow. Nobody start without me... !

Kristin Hayter

Aug 27, 2010, 3:46:28 AM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
tangential, but made me happy today:

ISSUES here in oakland devotes its store space to a highly edited and selective batch of rare/foreign art mags and a few of the snazzier lit journals (i.e. ninth letter). i had to special order tyrant and unsaid, and the people at the store hadn't heard of tyrant but liked it so much they said they're going to stock it regularly.

woot woot gian.

James McGirk

Aug 27, 2010, 7:43:55 AM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
That excerpt of Bombardero was amazing! I found myself gripping the sides of the magazine while reading... It's a nice issue so far, well curated, lots of tight concise stories. That Padgett Powell was only an interview was a bit of tease

Owen Kaelin

Aug 27, 2010, 9:26:15 AM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Kristin: That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of. Trying to appeal to Borders is very likely futile, but the independent stores that sell new books & literary journals is a good idea, especially if the people there know you.

Unfortunately, there're precisely two such stores left, here in the Boston area (not including the Harvard co-op, which is debatable in its likely responsiveness), but... two is better than none.

I'm heading up to Harvard Square today, so... I'll see what I can do with the journals I own.

If Tyrant arrives today (I cross my fingers), then it'll make me happier to add it to the eager collective.

Mike Kitchell

Aug 27, 2010, 9:40:27 AM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Haven't had a chance to page through it yet, but just wanted to holler that my copy of Tyrant came last night.  Thanks a ton internet!  I owe you one.

Tom DeBeauchamp

Aug 27, 2010, 1:33:13 PM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I have never been so happy to see the postman! NY Tyrant vol.3 no.2 is in my hot little hands.

If the offer to guest contribute is still open, I'd be willing to get critical with Bradford Tice's "How to Become an American Boy."

Tom

Roxane Gay

Aug 27, 2010, 1:35:18 PM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Glad to hear you are receiving your copies.

If you're writing a guest post, just send it to my personal e-mail address when you're done and I will let you know when it goes up for us to discuss and such. I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,
Roxane

Joshua Kleinberg

Aug 27, 2010, 8:45:54 PM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Got my copy today. Thanks Roxane and Gian. Not sure if there are already enough guest posts, but I'd be glad to add one. Probably won't decide which piece it's on until I've read everything, but I have the next few weeks off from school, so that should be really soon.

Josh

---
http://litareview.com/slingshot
http://00oo0.blogspot.com

wick...@aol.com

Aug 27, 2010, 10:01:23 PM8/27/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
got mine too, looks cool - can somebody explain the comic at the end? :-)

Aug 28, 2010, 4:51:32 AM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
oh it's here!

giancarlo ditrapano

Aug 28, 2010, 2:38:43 PM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to explain the comic at the end but that kind of takes the fun out of it. Maybe someone in the club will pick up on what it is.

David Peak

Aug 28, 2010, 7:09:40 PM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
the comic at the end:

it's a line of dialogue from one of the best scenes in coppola's The Outsiders. a movie i used to watch while fantasizing about owning a switchblade, you know, as a child. i believe the line is a quote from thomas c. howell in reference to his bleached hair? as in, "It's not that it won't [grow back." i think they're all standing beneath a tree, a sunset behind them. diane lane is there with her car.

i can't find the clip on youtube. i could be totally wrong about all this. as memory serves. am i wrong?

btw, just found all these emails in my spam box. catching up now.

giancarlo ditrapano

Aug 28, 2010, 10:11:58 PM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
You're right David. But the scene in the comic isn't when that piece of dialogue happens. The dialogue happens the morning after they get to the church, before Johnny cuts Pony's hair. The illustration is the last scene of the movie in which Cherry appears. When she comes to talk to Pony and Two-bit about the rumble. I was looking for an illustration and a friend of a friend sent me this. And I really liked it. If you hold it sideways and squint your eyes, it kind of looks like a woman's head, the two figures under the tree being her eye and eyebrow.
So..there you go. I've been obsessed with that book and movie for a long time. I wrote to S. E. Hinton last year and she wrote me back a very nice letter. She signed it: Stay Gold.

I about died.

So now I've got that out of my system.

On Aug 28, a 2010, at 7:09 PM, David Peak <rubberp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> believe

Joel Coggins

Aug 28, 2010, 10:18:10 PM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
My copy arrived yesterday. I'm already flipping into it... very excited to be a part of this!

Joel

rubberp...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2010, 10:51:46 PM8/28/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
That is so rad. All the more reason to love the tyrant.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Sep 2, 2010, 12:49:00 AM9/2/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Well, I just got word that the Tyrant arrived today (Wednesday) . . .
the day after I've moved... sigh... if only it'd arrived yesterday.

Well, I'll have it forwarded. I should get it in a few days, Monday, hopefully.

In the meantime: if I'm the last one to receive it: everyone should go
ahead and start talking, I'll catch up with you all when I get a hold
of the mag.

Roxane Gay

Sep 2, 2010, 12:52:16 AM9/2/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
We're not starting the discussion until 10/1. You have plenty of time.

Owen Kaelin

Sep 2, 2010, 5:56:18 PM9/2/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Okay, then. Everybody be quiet until then.

Shhh...!

(I'll just read quietly over here.)

(Where're my headphones?)

Owen.

Matt Bell

Sep 3, 2010, 12:28:32 PM9/3/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
If no one has called it yet, I'd like to do a post on Josh Maday's "Dark Math." Best thing I've read in a lit mag in a long time.

Best,
Matt
www.mdbell.com

Joseph Riippi

Sep 3, 2010, 12:46:26 PM9/3/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Matt, you suck. I miss you, but you suck.

I'd like to call dibs on Hobson pieces if possible.
--
Joseph Riippi

www.josephriippi.com

Alex Cook

Sep 3, 2010, 12:54:52 PM9/3/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone called the Breece D'J Pancake note at the beginning? If
not, I'll do it

Alex

Roxane Gay

Sep 4, 2010, 12:04:52 AM9/4/10
to litma...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that there's no limit on how many guest contributions I post or how many people write about a piece or writer's work in the issue. This is a conversation so let's make some noise. When you have your piece ready, just send it to me at my personal address. I'll start posting on 10/1 and we'll see what we can stir up.

Cheers,
Roxane