Beowulf Group 6: Pamela Blanco-Girard, Luohan Wei, Mark Tartamella, Yu Xin Shen and Jessica Lau

Andrew Burton

Jan 31, 2012, 2:26:21 AM1/31/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
*** Your Initial Commentary ***

In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf. Feel free to consider
elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
impact of the video game genre. Ensure that your analysis is
original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
offensive or insensitive.

In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
towns. For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim

Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&index=7&feature=plpp_video

All initial commentary must be posted by midnight Sunday February 5th.

*** Your Responses to other Students ***

In roughly 50-60 words, each student must respond to the posting of
another student. Point out what you agree/disagree with and why,
justifying your opinion with careful reasoning and references to the
segment when appropriate. Be sure your response is significantly
original relative to what has already been posted. Be courteous and
keep your comments focused on students’ writing/ideas. Only respond
to a student who has not yet received feedback.

All responses must be posted by midnight Friday February 10th.

Luohan Wei

Feb 4, 2012, 2:30:14 PM2/4/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
Let me break the hypothetical ice, in this case with a big barbaric
axe.

I would like to start off by pointing out the parallel relationship of
the characters between both Beowulf and The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim's
respective storylines. Although both these works of fiction were
written and produced millennia apart they are both set in a mystical
Germanic past with elements of pagan heroism and magic. Beowulf the
main character in the epic can be identified with the main character
in the video game, controlled by the player. Both of them are
adventurers seeking glory, they are strangers entering a new kingdom
with the intention of completing a daunting task for a reward. Grendel
a fictional monster can be identified with the mythical Dragon in
Skyrim, and Jarl Balgruuf is complementary to Hrothgar kings of their
territories, ready to reward the adventurer to protect his land.

Yu Xin Shen

Feb 4, 2012, 11:33:36 PM2/4/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I find Luohan’s post particularly relevant as he points out how both
storylines were written millenia apart yet share the same
“background”. This clearly shows the continuity in the interest for
pagan Germanic culture. Furthermore, the mention of a Dragon in the
video game Skyrim could be even correlated to a deeper level to
Beowulf as further in the epic poem, there is a Dragon that attacks
Beowulf’s people!

Yu Xin Shen

Feb 4, 2012, 11:51:23 PM2/4/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
After watching the youtube exerpt of the video game The Elder Scrolls
V: Skyrim, I would like to mention the mead-hall the main character
passes through before speaking to the lord. Having also seen the
animated movie “Beowulf” made in 2007, I can definitely pick up a
resemblance between the two mead-halls. This similitude is interesting
as the architecture and the design of the building promotes gatherings
and a strong sense of community, very important elements in anglo-
saxon society, based on the idea of a comitatus, a fraternity of
warriors.

On a separate train of thought, the mentioning of a Dragon attacking a
town in Skyrim is also very similar to Beowulf, where a similar event
happens toward the end of the epic poem. The presence of this mythical
beast retraces the similarities in pagan Germanic beliefs of both
storylines.

On Jan 31, 2:26 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
> lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
> towns.  For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
> article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Mark Tartamella

Feb 5, 2012, 2:24:37 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I completely agree with Yu Xin's observation of the mead hall at the
beginning of the video. The mead-littered tables on opposite sides of
a fire pit give great respect to the movie "Beowulf". However it is
difficult to distinguish whether the hall in the game is intended for
a strong sense of community. I'm no programmer by far and my analysis
is probably very far fetched but given the hour of the day (when
observing the in-game time) it seems as if the tables should be
occupied with screaming drunk soldiers, but they remain empty and
untouched. The size of the hall and the sporadic displacement of the
soldiers around it kind of depreciates the hall's intended sense of
unity. I'm going a little overboard I know, but when observing the
film and the epic the inconsistency becomes relevant.

Mark Tartamella

Feb 5, 2012, 2:25:08 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
Besides the similarities pointed out already, I also noticed one
regarding progression, whether it be in the life of Beowulf or the
advancement of the character in The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. In the
game, progression of the character (leveling up and/or gaining/losing
reputation) is completely dependent on increasing your many skills.
For example, the more you use your bow, the higher your archery skill
increases, which will in turn level up your character. Although money
can be used in the game, it is not a main concern when progressing
unlike in many other games with more linear storylines. Parallel to
the epic, kingship was granted to Beowulf on the terms of his skill
(which allowed him to defeat Grendel), and had very little to do with
his wealth or status. If I may nitpick the video as well, when warning
the Jarl of the dragon, Poventus Avenicci (the Jarl's right-hand man)
steps in to give his opinion of the matter and the unknown warrior,
and obviously in a pessimistic tone as well. This small scene is
almost identical to Unferth's role in the epic and his initial
reaction to Beowulf.

On Jan 31, 2:26 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
> lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
> towns.  For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
> article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Pamela B.Girard

Feb 5, 2012, 2:36:19 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
Indeed, both Beowulf and The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim bare many
resemblances and share many common grounds. One of these similarities
is found in Jarl Balgruuf the Greater's surroundings and in their
respective personality traits. I am here referring to Irileth, said to
be the "housecarl", or protector of Jarl, and to Proventus Avenicci,
steward to Jarl, and respectively comparing them to Wulfgar and
Unferth, protector and steward to Hrothgar in Beowulf. Despite the
fact that Irileth is a woman, which does not suit the germanic context
of the video game very well, she bears many resemblances to Wulfgar
regarding both her function and the way she introduces and defines
herself with her title as a way of asserting her right of inquiry with
respect to the visitors. Proventus Avenicci, in the presence of the
player, acts in a very similar fashion as Unferth did in the presence
of Beowulf. He is suspicious and perhaps a little jealous of the
importance attributed to the player in such times of uncertainty, a
mirror image of Unferth's reaction, minus the alcohol. There is also
the consequences of feuds that is dealt with in both the game and the
epic. The king's diplomacy with other rulers both in the epic and in
the video game relies upon feuds, or the lack thereof.

On Jan 31, 2:26 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
> lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
> towns.  For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
> article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Pamela B.Girard

Feb 5, 2012, 2:46:10 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I could not agree more with Mark's comment. The whole aspect of merit
in both the game and the epic is a very germanic feature and plays a
key role in defining the characters. As for the comparison between
Unferth and Proventus Avenicci, you took the words out of my
mouth(keyboard would be more appropriate in this context)! We could
also make a parallel between Proventus's character and his latin
name, suggesting here an element of christianity in the pagan game,
much like the speaker in the epic, although in the game, created, as
Luohan said, millennia apart, might be inclined more towards a
negative image of christianity, glorifying paganism.

On Jan 31, 2:26 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
> lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
> towns.  For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
> article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Jessi Lau

Feb 5, 2012, 11:45:29 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
Wow, what hasn't been said already :S It seems that there is a clear
resemblance when observing the fact that successfully completing tasks
garner reward in both Beowulf and in The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. In
both Skyrim and Beowulf, there are physically impossible tasks that
the warriors in both respective kingdoms were unable to take care of,
and a foreign hero must step up to accomplish it. In both the game and
the epic, if the hero succeeds he is to be awarded not only in gold
but also that the Jarl/king, meant to be the most powerful warrior in
each Anglo-Saxon kingdom, would be in debt to him. "Succeed at this,
and you'll be rewarded, Whiterun will be in your debt", Jarl Balgruuf
the Greater (6:13).

On Jan 31, 2:26 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player is on a mission to warn Jarl Balgruuf (a
> lord) of the possibility of a dragon attack on Riverwood, one of his
> towns.  For further context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia
> article on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 7 – Before the Storm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO7kz4cc8g&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Luohan Wei

Feb 9, 2012, 8:02:36 PM2/9/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I'd like to respectfully disagree with the parallel established by
Pamela. Although it is true that Wulfgar and Unferth occupy the same
function as Irileth and Proventus Avenicci, their similarities stop
there. The tone of their voice does not indicate a recurrence of
similar character traits. Irileth is mainly screening the player to
make sure he is worthy of speaking with the Jarl, Wulfgar however is
fishing for some sort of validation that Beowulf is the man to save
the kingdom. As for Proventus, he does not attack the player’s
reputation as does Unferth, he does not identify the stranger as a
threat, he is only doing his job as an adviser with no ill intentions.

Jessi Lau

Feb 10, 2012, 11:35:59 PM2/10/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I would also like to respectfully disagree with Pamela on one of her
points, “Irileth is a women…does not suit the Germanic context of the
video game very well”. If you compare Grendel’s mother and Irileth
they have clear similarities. Although Grendel’s mother can be seen as
a nameless, vengeful woman for killing a man in his sleep, she does it
for the sake of her son. She can also be casted as a strong and fierce
Amazonian warrior loyal to her son. The fact that she is violent
instead of being a “peace-weaver”, discussed in class and lines
1290-91, shows a clear pagan Germanic warrior where you kill rather
than negotiate a resolution. Clearly Irileth has to be an Amazonian
type warrior, strong and loyal, if her “job is to deal with all
dangers that threatens the Jarl or his people” (2:13).

On Feb 5, 2:36 pm, "Pamela B.Girard" <pamela.blanc...@gmail.com>