Beowulf Group 8: Sophie Watts, Alexandra Bélanger, Katharine Mikula, Élaine Tat and Jenine Burt

Andrew Burton

Jan 31, 2012, 2:28:04 AM1/31/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
*** Your Initial Commentary ***

In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf. Feel free to consider
elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
impact of the video game genre. Ensure that your analysis is
original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
offensive or insensitive.

In this excerpt, the player travels to Sovngarde, an Valhalla-
equivalent where the glorious dead reside. His/her mission is to
defeat Alduin, a dragon who threatens to end the world. For further
context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia article on The Elder
Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim

Howcast’s Part 52 – Sovngarde:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxphOZ5RWj8&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&index=52&feature=plpp_video

All initial commentary must be posted by midnight Sunday February 5th.

*** Your Responses to other Students ***

In roughly 50-60 words, each student must respond to the posting of
another student. Point out what you agree/disagree with and why,
justifying your opinion with careful reasoning and references to the
segment when appropriate. Be sure your response is significantly
original relative to what has already been posted. Be courteous and
keep your comments focused on students’ writing/ideas. Only respond
to a student who has not yet received feedback.

All responses must be posted by midnight Friday February 10th.

Alexandra Belanger

Feb 4, 2012, 3:02:32 PM2/4/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
The video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes the element of
violence of pagan Germanic culture. In the game, the watchman of the
bridge tests the player prior to his crossing and entering the grand
hall. In this segment of the video game, violence is employed to prove
the player’s worthiness. As is characteristic of pagan Germanic
culture, violence plays a significant role in daily life and is used
to test a warrior’s courage and skill in combat. The central role of
fighting and violence in the pagan Germanic culture is also depicted
by the characters in the game. They are consistently armed with a
weapon, which is symbolic of the omnipotence of violence in their
society.

Jenine Burt

Feb 5, 2012, 9:51:38 AM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
The action-role play video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes
elements in pagan Germanic culture as it purges the importance of will
in tough combat and the unity of warriors in battle. At each new
stage, the character player is reminded of the doom he will face in
his attempt to defeat the great Alduin but is also praised for his
greatness and will, proving himself worthy of battle. This, in
extension, further motivates the player before battle to defeat the
opponent, as is an element in Germanic culture. The idea of combat's
importance in a societal sense in Germanic culture is seen in The
Elder Scrolls unifying warriors as they encourage each other,
combining their forces and will to defeat the opponent.

On Jan 31, 2:28 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player travels to Sovngarde, an Valhalla-
> equivalent where the glorious dead reside.  His/her mission is to
> defeat Alduin, a dragon who threatens to end the world.  For further
> context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia article on The Elder
> Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 52 – Sovngarde:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxphOZ5RWj8&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Jenine Burt

Feb 5, 2012, 10:13:10 AM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
In terms of invocations of pagan Germanic culture, using the example
of the watchman testing the player with violence as means to prove him
worthy for battle is very appropriate. As we saw in Beowulf, not just
any warrior was eligible for the task and worthiness was one of the
key components to a great warrior. The scenery basically screams doom.
Yes, the player is constantly in battle attire which goes along with
the theme of the game and the screaming presence of battle and
violence in Germanic culture.

Alexandra Belanger

Feb 5, 2012, 1:39:26 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
The example of the player who is warned about his journey yet
commended for his will in combat does remain true to the pagan
Germanic culture. As is the case in Beowulf, words of caution and
praise for the warrior ignites Beowulf’s desire and drive to defeat
the monstrous Grendel. In addition, the concept of unification of
forces to defeat a common enemy illustrates the significance of a
sense of community in battle typical of the pagan Germanic culture.

Sophie Watts

Feb 5, 2012, 8:27:24 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
The segment from the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim depicts
pagan multiple elements of pagan Germanic culture. One of the most
apparent is the formality of speech and sentence structure of the
characters. They speak in a poetic fashion, inverting sentences and
speaking in fragments. Also, when the lone warrior enters the hall we
are able to see the large feast set out in this great hall. Great
feasts set in grand halls with large fires and many places to sit are
classically Germanic. Finally, the fact the lone warrior travels to
meet other fighters to perform his quest references the importance of
group warfare. In fact, one of the warriors comments they cannot
defeat their enemy alone.

On Jan 31, 2:28 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player travels to Sovngarde, an Valhalla-
> equivalent where the glorious dead reside.  His/her mission is to
> defeat Alduin, a dragon who threatens to end the world.  For further
> context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia article on The Elder
> Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 52 – Sovngarde:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxphOZ5RWj8&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Elaine Tat

Feb 5, 2012, 11:57:25 PM2/5/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
The video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim illustrates a very
important element of Anglo-Saxon paganism, the supernatural. The use
of magic and witchcraft is unique to paganism and dissimilar to
Christian practices since the concept of magic is based on the belief
of manipulating the supernatural, an idea condemned by the Christian
church. The main character, Dragonborn, has in his possession potions
of healing, of invisibility, etc. Carrying magical items appears to be
a part of the Germanic paganism practices. He also possesses
supernatural powers such as “Shout” (the ability to use the language
of dragons). Similarly to Beowulf, mystical creatures like dragons
exist in Skyrim’s universe too. However, it is important to note that
Skyrim does not depict the reality of the Anglo-Saxon world since it
is not historically accurate. Instead, it stands as a reference point
to their pagan beliefs.

On Jan 31, 2:28 am, Andrew Burton <a.bur...@marianopolis.edu> wrote:
> *** Your Initial Commentary ***
>
> In roughly 100 words, each student must observe how the segment from
> the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim invokes one or two elements
> of pagan Germanic culture and/or Beowulf.  Feel free to consider
> elements of the scene other than the dialogue and to discuss the
> impact of the video game genre.  Ensure that your analysis is
> original, nuanced and makes specific references to the segment.
> Please be respectful of your classmates – do not post anything that is
> offensive or insensitive.
>
> In this excerpt, the player travels to Sovngarde, an Valhalla-
> equivalent where the glorious dead reside.  His/her mission is to
> defeat Alduin, a dragon who threatens to end the world.  For further
> context, you may wish to peruse the Wikipedia article on The Elder
> Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially the “Plot” section:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim
>
> Howcast’s Part 52 – Sovngarde:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxphOZ5RWj8&list=PLFB5C91A71D71CD09&in...

Sophie Watts

Feb 9, 2012, 11:36:17 AM2/9/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I agree that there are certainly many elements of the video game that
are not accurate to pagan Germanic culture. One of the inconsistencies
is the presence of a female warrior. As we saw in Beowulf, the
character of Grendel’s mother is frowned upon for defying her role as
a woman and instead being violent.

Elaine Tat

Feb 10, 2012, 11:01:12 PM2/10/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
Similarly to Germanic poetry, the speeches in Skyrim are written in a
poetic fashion. Alliteration is an example of stylistic devices used
by the characters to emphasize the formality and eloquence of the
speech. The Stormcloak Solider says, “Turn back, Traveler. Terror
waits within this mist.” The repeating “t” is the alliteration. Also,
I agree that the mead hall is a Germanic emblem. The Hall of Valor can
be compared to Heorot in many ways. For instance, the grandness and
height of its structure mirrors the descriptions of Heorot, “the hall
towered, its gables wide and high […]” (line 81).

Kate Mikula

Feb 10, 2012, 11:10:17 PM2/10/12
to Literary Survey Section 73
I agree with Sophie that both the structure of the characters speech
and the setting of the grand feast hall are characteristic of Germanic
society as was described in Beowulf. Their speech was designed to
sound poetic as the writer of Beowulf did also. The sentences were
inverted as was he case in old English. The design Of the feast hall
was also typically Germanic. Roaring fires with many seats and wide
open spaces are quite often used as adjectives to describe germanIc
feast halls such as the Heorot. The many warriors inside there living
and fighting together was found in both this video game and Beowulf.
these two have many common parallels.