Bug causing download over 3G?

Laurens de Bruijn

Aug 7, 2014, 8:20:35 AM8/7/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com
I have a limited data plan
Settings:
Can download new audio (check)
Download only on Wifi (check)
Allow streaming (unchecked)

I am on wifi - but the setting "Download only on Wifi" - should IMO always be respected - that is, the app should never download over the carrier network.

I '+' a few podcasts and look at my phone a bit later - Listen Up App has used 200MB in background data(!)
This has happened to me a few times already. Very annoying.
Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong (e.g. lost wifi connection halfway through a xfer?)

regards,

Patrick Julien

Aug 7, 2014, 9:01:50 AM8/7/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com

I would need more details because I don't see how this wouldn't work for you.

Listen up will stop downloading if it loses wifi

Rod Roller

Dec 14, 2014, 12:12:29 PM12/14/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com

I am having the same problem.  I have maxed out my data plan two months in a row (costing me $15/mo overage), so I was about to give my wife grief for watching facebook videos when I checked my plan usage and she used 200MB and I used 800MB last month.  Note that other than some foursquare/swarm checkins and an occasional look at twitter I rarely do anything that requires data unless I'm on wifi.

So I started digging around in my Android settings, knowing I had the "wifi only" option in Listen Up checked.  Sure enough, it showed 146MB of data plan used just in the last WEEK!  Changing the range back to the last month shows 585MB used just from Listen Up! See the attached screen shots showing the usage and my Listen Up settings.

Then I changed it in the Android data usage settings to restrict background data.  Guess what?  Now episodes show in the queue but Listen Up refused to download the file, even though I was on wifi.  That PROVED that it was downloading over 4G not wifi.  Then I got curious and started playing around with settings and also checked the "Can Download New Audio" box and then it downloaded over wifi.

So, it looks like there may be a bug where if "Can Download New Audio" is unchecked it is ignoring the "Download only on Wifi" setting.

Note that this is on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, Android 4.4.2.

Patrick Julien

Dec 15, 2014, 11:04:18 AM12/15/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rod,

I'm having a hard time understanding what the relationship you're trying to make between the queue and the downloads here.

Can you confirm you have the latest version of listen up?

Rod Roller

Dec 16, 2014, 6:49:51 AM12/16/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com
Listen Up version 2.4.7.3

This has nothing to do with the queue.

* "Can download new audio" unchecked
* "Download only when charging" unchecked
* "Download only on WiFi" CHECKED
* "Allow Streaming"  unchecked
^^^ These settings DOWNLOAD ONLY ON 3G/4G EVEN WHEN CONNECTED TO WIFI!

* "Can download new audio" CHECKED
* "Download only when charging" unchecked
* "Download only on WiFi" CHECKED
* "Allow Streaming"  unchecked
^^^ These settings DOWNLOAD VIA WIFI!

Patrick Julien

Dec 16, 2014, 8:48:05 AM12/16/14
to listen-...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks. This should be easy for me to reproduce