[Immigrating to Sydney] New comment on Why do immigrants leave Australia?.

Di

Apr 22, 2016, 5:47:34 AM4/22/16
to list...@googlegroups.com
Di has left a new comment on your post "Why do immigrants leave Australia?":

Hello all,

I am a single Australian female who is tertiary educated and living in poverty. I live in Sydney and as a single income spend $500 per WEEK on rent (one bedroom - no where near a beach) living 30 minutes from the city. My full time salary equates to $850 per week (around $52,000 per year). After paying for public transport, minimal groceries and a mobile phone, I have zero money left for a social life, hair dresser, dentist or even a car. I can barely pay my electricity bill!!! How am I ever supposed to afford a house? The average Sydney house has just topped the 1 million dollar mark. I would need a minimum deposit of $100,000 AUD plus a whole lot of other fees, and no bank would lend me $900,000 AUD as a mortgage. I have spent the past 22 years working full time just for the privelidge of having a full time job. When I want to go overseas I need to work weekends as well in a 2nd job (usually in a cafe or retail store).
This has been do-able until now, but due to circumstances my family, will not have any inheritance to leave me and I cannot foresee myself spending the next 40 years being able to work as intensely just to keep a roof over my head. I know there is a lot of money in Australia, but there is also a HUGE disparity between the rich and the working class. 40 years ago the working class could afford to save for a house, now they are living hand to mouth with no hope for the future. I have been desperately researching ways to leave the "lucky country" as my future here does not look very promising at all. P.S. The government benefits here are $250 per week. This is only one quarter of the average wage in Australia and I promise you, you will be sharing (renting) bedrooms with strangers for the rest of your life if you think that is enough to live on in Sydney. Sometimes having our basic human needs met (like shelter and food) is a higher priority than beaches and hot sunny weather. It pains me to say it but Australia is only a lucky country if you a very, very wealthy.

Posted by Di to Immigrating to Sydney at April 22, 2016 at 12:52 AM