Basic Math

Clinton Moreland-Stringham

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Aelya numbers are one thing I have pretty complete. They go as
follows:

0 (zero) : nath 1 : en
2 : ya 3 : si (-re)
4 : car 5 : len
6 : sar 7 : sath
8 : ooth 9 : ayen / een
10 : de / del / des

11 : delen 12 : delya
13 : dehli 14 : delcar
15 : dellen 16 : dehlar
17 : dehlath 18 : delooth
19 : delayen 20 : ras

30 : seha 40 : cahra
50 : lehna 60 : sahra
70 : satha 80 : ootha
90 : eena 100 : tyaa

200 : yatha 300 : sitha
400 : cartha 500 : lentha
600 : sartha 700 : sastya
800 : oostya 900 : eentha / aentha
1000 : elta (lit. means a flock of birds)

numbers are compunded
i.e. 57=lehnasath
296=yatha eenasar

numbers less than 10 precede their nouns, all other nouns occur
after the first element of their modifying numerals. Nouns only occur in
the plural if there are no preceding words to indicate plurality (number
words or particles). thus:

dog = cuu dogs = cuuna
the dog = i cuu the dogs = na cuu
5 dogs = len cuu 34 dogs = seha cuu car

what do you think?

Clinton

Jim Grossmann

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

> Aelya numbers are one thing I have pretty complete. They go as
> follows:
>
> 0 (zero) : nath 1 : en
> 2 : ya 3 : si (-re)
> 4 : car 5 : len
> 6 : sar 7 : sath
> 8 : ooth 9 : ayen / een
> 10 : de / del / des
>
> 11 : delen 12 : delya
> 13 : dehli 14 : delcar
> 15 : dellen 16 : dehlar
> 17 : dehlath 18 : delooth
> 19 : delayen 20 : ras

QUESTION: What's the phonemic difference between "delen" and "dellen?"

> 30 : seha 40 : cahra
> 50 : lehna 60 : sahra
> 70 : satha 80 : ootha
> 90 : eena 100 : tyaa
>
> 200 : yatha 300 : sitha
> 400 : cartha 500 : lentha
> 600 : sartha 700 : sastya
> 800 : oostya 900 : eentha / aentha
> 1000 : elta (lit. means a flock of birds)

> numbers are compunded
> i.e. 57=lehnasath
> 296=yatha eenasar
>
> numbers less than 10 precede their nouns, all other nouns occur
> after the first element of their modifying numerals. Nouns only occur in
> the plural if there are no preceding words to indicate plurality (number
> words or particles). thus:
>
> dog = cuu dogs = cuuna
> the dog = i cuu the dogs = na cuu
> 5 dogs = len cuu 34 dogs = seha cuu car

COMMENT & QUESTION: Interesting. Is this how Aelya deals with other
long modifiers, besides numbers?

> what do you think?

QUESTIONS: How do you make numeral words for values greater than
1,999? elta eentha eena en?

How do you derive ordinal numerals? 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Fractional? 1/2 , 1/3, 2/3 .... Multiplicative? half as much/many
twice as much/many
three times as much/many

Why do some of your words have alternative forms?

e.g. si (-re) ayen/een de/del/des

Keep conlanging,

Jim

Clinton Moreland-Stringham

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Jim Grossmann wrote:

> > 11 : delen 12 : delya
> > 13 : dehli 14 : delcar
> > 15 : dellen 16 : dehlar
> > 17 : dehlath 18 : delooth
> > 19 : delayen 20 : ras
>
> QUESTION: What's the phonemic difference between "delen" and "dellen?"

It's a matter of stress. delen (11) is pronounced like the name of
the character in babylon 5 (deh-LEN) while dellen (15) has stress on the
initial syllable (DEL-len).

> COMMENT & QUESTION: Interesting. Is this how Aelya deals with other
> long modifiers, besides numbers?

Ajectives are actually verbs in Aelya, and follow the nouns the
modify. I haven't decided if there will be a particular order to them or
not, though I'm leaning heavily towards the "no specific order" of things.
There's a concept in Aelya called entyave, which allows for variation of
standard grammar rules. For example, with numbers, the noun comes after
the first element of the numbers. Entyave allows one to decide what the
first element is. I.e.

3257 = siltayatha lehnasath (or lehnassath)
3257 dogs = silta cuu yatha lehnassath
or
siltayatha cuu lehnassath

> > what do you think?
>
> QUESTIONS: How do you make numeral words for values greater than
> 1,999? elta eentha eena en?

I haven't figured out how to do numbers bigger than 9999 yet, but
the above example should be enough to show you how things are done..

> How do you derive ordinal numerals? 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Ordinals are formed by the suffix -u or -yu, with 1 and 2 having
irregular forms. For example, 'the thirteenth day' would be:
_so are dehlu_
the third dog = _i cuu syu_

> Fractional? 1/2 , 1/3, 2/3 ....

cardinal bodified by ordinal:
1/2 = en dara
1/3 = en syu
2/3 = ya syu
3/4 = si caru

Multiplicative: -ina/-na
by threes : siina
by nines : eina

There's also a prefix which indicates '-fold' as in english: fae-

threefold = faere eightfold = faevoos

> Why do some of your words have alternative forms?
>
> e.g. si (-re) ayen/een de/del/des

For 3 (si / -re), the -re is the form after vowels. 83, for
example, is oothare, NOT oothasi.

For the others, these are issues of idiolect/entyave. The speaker
chooses whatever sounds most euphonious to him/her-self.

Clinton

Cliff Crawford

Jan 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/24/98

The number system I developed for Jlin is *really* simple.
There are ten digits:

0 so
1 se
2 tco [tSo]
3 gi
4 kama
5 gita
6 dju [dZu]
7 anac [anaS]
8 orek [OrEk]
9 elima

To say anything higher than nine you simply say the names of the digits
in order. So ten is 'seso' (one-zero), eleven is 'sese' (one-one),
thirty-seven is 'gi anac', 4783 is 'kama anac orek gi'. There are also
special words for higher numbers:

thousand ribu (1,000 = seribu, 3,000 = gi ribu, etc.)
million ribu-ribu (1,000,000)
billion tarus (1,000,000,000)
trillion ribu-tarus (1,000,000,000,000)
quadrillion ribibu-tarus (1,000,000,000,000,000, < ribu-ribu-tarus)
quintillion tarus-tarus (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)

These words are only used in numbers which have lots of trailing zeroes
(i.e. it's easier to say 'kama tarus' than 'kama sososososososososo'. :)
They can be left out, however, when saying numbers like 3,484,106: you
would usually say 'gi kama orek kama se so dju' rather than 'gi ribu2,
kama orek kama ribu, se so dju'.

So what do you all think? I happened to notice that all of the rest of
you who posted number systems seemed to use words like 'hundred',
'thousand', etc. as required place markers, mirroring natlang usage. I
decided to make them optional instead; is this feasible? Or is this
redundancy in the names of numbers (which I left out) actually desirable?

--Cliff
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/

taliesin the storyteller

Jan 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/24/98

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 cj...@cornell.edu wrote:

> The number system I developed for Jlin is *really* simple.
> There are ten digits:

/snip neat examples/

> So what do you all think? I happened to notice that all of the rest of
> you who posted number systems seemed to use words like 'hundred',
> 'thousand', etc. as required place markers, mirroring natlang usage. I
> decided to make them optional instead; is this feasible? Or is this
> redundancy in the names of numbers (which I left out) actually desirable?

Strange this, how ideas you thought were uniquely yours turn
up all over the place (Xaini has three grammars just like
tAruven etc.). tAruven uses this system (and this won't
change, ancient feature). I think it's easier to say and
pick up numbers 'spelled out' this way, digit by digit.
YMMW.

Tal.

Josh Roth

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

>The number system I developed for Jlin is *really* simple.
>There are ten digits:
>

> 0 so
> 1 se
> 2 tco [tSo]
> 3 gi
> 4 kama
> 5 gita
> 6 dju [dZu]
> 7 anac [anaS]
> 8 orek [OrEk]
> 9 elima
>
>To say anything higher than nine you simply say the names of the digits
>in order. So ten is 'seso' (one-zero), eleven is 'sese' (one-one),
>thirty-seven is 'gi anac', 4783 is 'kama anac orek gi'. There are also
>special words for higher numbers:
>
> thousand ribu (1,000 = seribu, 3,000 = gi ribu, etc.)
> million ribu-ribu (1,000,000)
> billion tarus (1,000,000,000)
> trillion ribu-tarus (1,000,000,000,000)
> quadrillion ribibu-tarus (1,000,000,000,000,000, < ribu-ribu-tarus)
> quintillion tarus-tarus (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)
>
>These words are only used in numbers which have lots of trailing zeroes
>(i.e. it's easier to say 'kama tarus' than 'kama sososososososososo'. :)

Very nice. But: while you may not have to say "so" 9 times, you still would
have to repeat any number other than zero, e.g. 4,111,111,111 would be kama
sesesesesesesesese. What I would do is make a way to say "nine ones" or
"thirty sixes". Perhaps you could use the same words you use for zero, but if
you need to say a lot of a number other than zero, add that number after the
"ribu" or "tarus", maybe adding a suffix or something like that.

Examples:

4,000,000,000,000,000=kama ribu-tarus
4,555,555,555,555,555=kama ribu-tarus gitam (or whatever suffix you want)

>I happened to notice that all of the rest of
>you who posted number systems seemed to use words like 'hundred',
>'thousand', etc. as required place markers, mirroring natlang usage. I
>decided to make them optional instead; is this feasible? Or is this
>redundancy in the names of numbers (which I left out) actually desirable?

I don't see any problem with "redundancy in the names of numbers" (except in
what I said above), i.e., it's fine to leave out special words like "hundred"
and "thousand", just having the same ten numbers used and nothing else.

>--Cliff
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/

JTR