USAGE: Fractions, Currency, other math stuff

R. Skrintha

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

[i've added the USAGE flag]

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Danny Wier wrote:

> Sanskrit and its daughter languages have "thousand" but not "million";
> instead, it has "hundred thousand" (_lakh_). (Even modern Hindi numbers
> are written not in the format 53,942,806, but as 5,39,42,806.).

That's right, tho there exists a word for 10 million, "koTi", "T" being
retroflex. In modern Hindi the word is "karor", from which, incidentally,
the (British) English word "crore" (= 10 million), comes. Btw, the Hindi
word _lakh_, derived from Skt _laksham_ is the origin of the word "lakh"
= 100,000 used in Indian publications of English.

Is the word "crore" known in the US?

> Large numbers in Tech (as I said in an earlier post) are base 10,000
> instead of 1,000: "million" is literally "hundred myriad" and "billion"
> (US meaning) is "ten myriad myriads".

Regards,
skrintha

-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-

Mystic Rhythms & the Northern Lights,
We feel their power,
& wonder what they are.

/mystic rhythms/PowerWindows/RUSH

-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-=*-@-*=-

Cliff Crawford

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, R. Skrintha wrote:

> That's right, tho there exists a word for 10 million, "koTi", "T" being
> retroflex. In modern Hindi the word is "karor", from which, incidentally,
> the (British) English word "crore" (= 10 million), comes. Btw, the Hindi
> word _lakh_, derived from Skt _laksham_ is the origin of the word "lakh"
> = 100,000 used in Indian publications of English.
>
> Is the word "crore" known in the US?

No. How is it pronounced? /krOr/ ?

--Cliff
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/