hotmail - 552 Too many recipients (in reply to RCPT TO command)

techlist06

Oct 3, 2007, 6:01:27 PM10/3/07
Hi guys:

I have a realtively small maillist we maintain by hand in outlook and use to
send messages to a group of club members. It is about 1300 addresses in
size. Last time I sent a message out I had a handful of them bounce from
hotmail with the error:

...host mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.244.40] said: 552 Too many
recipients (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I don't know what the limit with hotmail (and msn.com) but apparently I hit
it.

On the postfix box that sends this mail, is there a way I can throttle down
what my postfix server will send out to bites that hotmail will eat?

Here is my postconf -n:

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
disable_vrfy_command = yes
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
local_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/local_recipient
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
mailbox_size_limit = [medium]
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
message_size_limit = [mediumplus]
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
mydomain = mydomain.com
myhostname = host1.mydomain.com
mynetworks = localhost,$localdomain, x.x.x.x/32, x.x.x.x/32
myorigin = $myhostname
parent_domain_matches_subdomains = smtpd_access_maps
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/README_FILES
recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
relay_domains = anotherdomain.com
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_recipient_limit = 1500
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_invalid_hostname,
reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient, permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination,
check_recipient_mx_access hash:/etc/postfix/mx_access,
check_sender_mx_access hash:/etc/postfix/mx_access,
reject_unknown_sender_domain, check_recipient_access
pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_checks.pcre, check_helo_access
hash:/etc/postfix/helo_checks, check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/sender_checks, check_client_access
hash:/etc/postfix/client_checks, check_client_access
pcre:/etc/postfix/client_checks.pcre, reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net, permit
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/certificate/MyCertAuthority.pem
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/certificate/MyPublicCert.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/certificate/MyPrivateKey.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
soft_bounce = no
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users

Thanks very much for any pointers.

Best,
Scott

Victor Duchovni

Oct 3, 2007, 6:05:41 PM10/3/07
On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 05:01:27PM -0500, techlist06 wrote:

> Hi guys:
>
> I have a realtively small maillist we maintain by hand in outlook and use
> to send messages to a group of club members. It is about 1300 addresses in
> size. Last time I sent a message out I had a handful of them bounce from
> hotmail with the error:
>
> ...host mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.244.40] said: 552 Too many
> recipients (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> I don't know what the limit with hotmail (and msn.com) but apparently I hit
> it.
>
> On the postfix box that sends this mail, is there a way I can throttle down
> what my postfix server will send out to bites that hotmail will eat?

Yes,

main.cf:
# Tune as necessary, the defaults are 20 and 50
slow_destination_concurrency_limit = 5
slow_destination_recipient_limit = 10

transport:
hotmail.com slow:hotmail.com

master.cf:
slow unix - - n - - smtp

Then postmap the transport table, and reload.

--
Viktor.

techlist06

Oct 4, 2007, 7:52:54 AM10/4/07
Thanks Victor. I'll give that a shot. Help much appreciated.
Best,
Scott