smtpd: No direct delivery from dynamic IPs!

Dusan Ljubanic

Jul 23, 2022, 9:03:55 AM7/23/22

I want to allow smtp connection requests from dynamic IPs. I have no rules in my smtpd_client_restrictions rejecting dynamic IP addresses.

Where does postfix perform this check?

Sample of the log:

<cable-188-2-56-36.dynamic.sbb.rs[188.2.56.36]>: Client
host rejected: No direct delivery from dynamic IPs! Use your ISP's SMTP relay.

Thanks

Luke Briner

Aug 8, 2022, 12:14:55 PM8/8/22
Do you mean smtp or smtpd? If you intend to relay email from trusted servers via your mail server, you should be setting up the submission service to accept these. You can lock them down with IP or network restrictions or you could install something like dovecot to give you TLS on port 587.

The SMTP side of things should only be called from other mail agents and there are few good scenarios where a proper mail server has a dynamic IP, just lots of bad scenarios!

Dusan Ljubanic

Aug 11, 2022, 3:55:57 PM8/11/22
On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 6:14:55 PM UTC+2, Luke Briner wrote:
> Do you mean smtp or smtpd? If you intend to relay email from trusted servers via your mail server, you should be setting up the submission service to accept these. You can lock them down with IP or network restrictions or you could install something like dovecot to give you TLS on port 587.
>
> The SMTP side of things should only be called from other mail agents and there are few good scenarios where a proper mail server has a dynamic IP, just lots of bad scenarios!

It is:
smtp-node4 postfix/smtpd[1037]: NOQUEUE: reject: CONNECT from cable-x-x-x-x.dynamic.domain.com[x.x.x.x]: 554 5.7.1 <cable-x-x-x-x.dynamic.domain.com[x.x.x.x]>: Client host rejected: No direct delivery from dynamic IPs! Use your ISP's SMTP relay.; proto=SMTP

whereas clients with static IP are accepted:

smtp-node4 postfix/cleanup[5899]: F336CE0003: info: header Subject: FW: kartica from x.x.x.x.static.domain.com

As if somehow decision is being made with regards to PTR record

I want to allow relaying coming from dynamic IP addresses, I have permit_sasl_authenticated to control connections not coming from mu networks

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated,
check_client_access
ldap:/etc/postfix/map_clients.ldap,
check_client_access