Allowing Speical Characters in Email addresses

Paul Fowler

Mar 23, 2021, 7:25:40 AM3/23/21

Is it possible allow the use of speical characters safely in the local part of a email address.
We have a need to be able to accept emails that include speical characters like ! e.g. joe!blo...@example.com

When trying to send a test mail on a test server I get 'Relay Access denied'

```
postfix/smtpd[83186]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[192.168.0.62]: 554 5.7.1 <joe!blo...@example.com>: Relay access denied; from=<us...@test.com> to=<joe!blo...@example.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<example.com>

```

I found a old post from 2012 where some parameters were recommended but with great risk. Even with these settings I could not get it to work and I havn't found anything else as of yet.
http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/special-characters-in-mail-address-td47792.html

So far I have tried a couple of different configurations parameters but nothing has worked.

Does anyone have a tips or pointers on what I could do here.

postfix stable 3.5.9.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Fowler