Intermittent "Temporary lookup failure" Postfix error

Nguyen Kim Son

Dec 17, 2021, 4:19:22 AM12/17/21
We have noticed in our Postfix log a lot of "Temporary lookup failure" error.
They seem to appear randomly as we can't find a pattern.

These errors did happen on well-known domains like gmail.com so it shouldn't be related to DNS issue.

Here's how it looks like:

Dec 16 02:44:15 prod2 postfix/smtpd[15673]: NOQUEUE: reject:
RCPT from mx1.example.com[1.2.3.4]: 451 4.3.0 <exa...@gmail.com>:
Temporary lookup failure; from=<transa...@example.com>
to=<exa...@gmail.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[172.17.0.7]>

We don't have any clue so far so any idea on what might go wrong is helpful! Thanks.