Comment on Luis von Ahn's Facebook post

Ziyuan Yao

Apr 14, 2017, 6:51:29 PM4/14/17
Let me tell you my latest finding on second language acquistion: It turns out, you don't need any special software or website for SLA; you only need to subscribe to a Facebook/Twitter account which perioidically publishes bilingual sentence pairs (e.g.

One man with courage makes a majority.
一个有勇气的人就是大多数。

). Then, automatically you will receive "comprehensible L2 input" which is the core of Stephen Krashen's theory.

That said, the idea I informed you previously (advertising bilingual sentence pairs in the native-language web page that the user is currently viewing) is also important. Both ideas can introduce comprehensible L2 input to a person's otherwise monolingual life, building up his L2 corpus which is essential to his L2 capability. The Krashen school of thought says the only difference between a native speaker and a non-native language learner is that the native speaker has a large corpus of the language in question in his mind while the learner doesn't. To become native, the learner needs to build up such a corpus as well.