An Automatic Diary extension for Listit (Poyozo Lifelogging)

electronic Max

Oct 20, 2010, 12:10:04 PM10/20/10
to list-it

Dear friends,

We have an experimental version of list-it that incorporates the
Poyozo life logger (http://mypoyozo.com) which is one of the topics of
my thesis and which we hope will help people more effectively capture
and re-access more of the information they encounter each day.

Try it out here: http://welist.it/lifelog.html

Here's how it works: every time you access a page, Firefox keeps track
of it already - so why not use that information to help you better get
back to what you looked at before? Poyozo visualizes every single
page you look at (except the ones in Private mode ;) ), the dates/
times and durations you looked at them, and uses Geolocation to keep
track of where you were when you looked at it, and presents them back
to you.

It also shows you when you took each note in list-it, and access them
through this lifelog.

The concept of life-streams visualisations dates back more than a
decade - some might say more than a century - but the most recent
influences are Jun Rekimoto's Time Machine Computing and Lifestreams
by David Gelernter. But 10+ years after these systems were proposed
nothing is in common use.

Poyozo/List-it is a simple implementation that we hope we can get some
people to try to use and to tell us whether this is useful to them for
1) getting back to their old data 2) helping them keep track of how
much time they spend doing things on line.

As an academic research project (and released as fully free and open
source software) the thing that we really really want is comments,
feedback, ideas from you. Our goal is to figure out how and whether
these tools can actually help people when they can.

That's where you come in! Please give it a spin and let us know what
you think. Again this is really pre-alpha software so it is definitely
far from perfect.

Cheers
Max Van Kleek
on behalf of the list-it + poyozo hackers
http://people.csail.mit.edu/~emax