How was lispyscript built?

Zach Hodge

Sep 22, 2012, 6:09:50 PM9/22/12
to lispy...@googlegroups.com
I'm a novice programmer: pretty much my only experience is in some hacky js. But when I saw LispyScript on hacker news the other day, I got thinking about the development process of a compile-to (transpile-to?) language like ls.

How does one go about making such a language? Was your approach similar to CoffeeScript, or completely different? I've heard that cs was written in itself.

Anyway, just curious.

Santosh Rajan

Sep 22, 2012, 9:28:33 PM9/22/12
to lispy...@googlegroups.com
The LispyScript core was written in Javascript. The core handles some of the keywords, "var", "set", "if", "function", "try", "throw", "new", "get", "str" "macro", "include", and operators "=", "!=", "!", "&&", "||",">", ">=", "<", "<=", "+", "-", "*", "\", "%". Thats it!

The rest of LispyScript is written as macros. So you will see that most of LispScript is written in LispyScript, and further additions will also be macros and hence in LispyScript.

Now that the core has been bootstrapped we could re write it in LispyScript if we wanted. But the core seems to be working very well at the moment and I dont see any advantage in doing this.

http://about.me/santosh.rajan

Zach Hodge

Sep 23, 2012, 2:56:56 AM9/23/12
to lispy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the informative reply!

Will have to dig into the source and see if I can understand any of it ;)