Installing Loops and Truckin on Windows 11

STEPHEN KAISLER

Aug 27, 2022, 5:08:57 PM8/27/22
to Interlisp
Folks:

I went through the process of installing Loops, Loops Rules, and Truckin from a basic Lisp sysout.
I documented this step-by-step in a file with numerous screen shots.

All went well, until I tied to create  new players.
I had done (<- PlayerInterface BeginGame) which asked me to select a player, which I did. Here's what the XCL Exec showed:

on my second try.
The problem is that there is no feedback that the player was successfully created and at tthe third player, I get an error. I have not had time to tack this down yet,

Which resulted when I selected NO, which I assume meant no more players.

I should also note that FILESLOAD returns NIL in certain cases and we may want to modify this to return some positive feedback to the user.

Next steps, documenting the LOOPS functions and methods, then the LOOPSRULES and GAUGES function and methods, then a how-to on how to program expert systems in LOOPS using TRUCKIN as an example.

These, I think, should be my primary focus for the next time periods or so unless somewhat disagrees and wants to suggest an alternative approach.

Steve K.

Larry Masinter

Sep 8, 2022, 2:24:43 AM9/8/22
to STEPHEN KAISLER, Interlisp
I wish I had a running medley 2.0 where we could load the loops/truckin 2.0 and maybe track down why it's failing. It would be useful with current (fast) maiko, but even a PC with DOS emulator would be handy,

I wish I knew which if any of the Loops TEdit / PDF files on Google drive had dates on them or corresponded to which versions of Loops; and which of the two sets of Loops test files corresponded to which versions of Loops.

John Cowan

Sep 8, 2022, 7:36:50 AM9/8/22
to Larry Masinter, STEPHEN KAISLER, Interlisp
On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 2:24 AM Larry Masinter <L...@acm.org> wrote:

I wish I had a running medley 2.0 where we could load the loops/truckin 2.0 and maybe track down why it's failing. It would be useful with current (fast) maiko, but even a PC with DOS emulator would be handy,

Nothing could be easier.  Go to dosbox.com, where they have a very good DOS emulator for Windows, Linux, or MacOS.  I have kept some old 16-bit DOS games running for years through many Windows upgrades as well as on Linux (my wife gets a kick out of them).  It does not require a copy of real or fake MS-DOS to run, or even an x86 CPU, although it will take advantage of x86 hardware.  If you have problems with it, let me know, although their wiki is quite good.

Larry Masinter

Sep 9, 2022, 10:34:50 AM9/9/22
to John Cowan, STEPHEN KAISLER, Interlisp
@alexshendii  explored what we had and got Medley going on FreeDOS.

was "not yet".