FW: Starting a non-profit ?

1 view

Larry Masinter

Jul 31, 2021, 5:27:52 PM7/31/21
to Interlisp core

For those interested…. the Petit “New Foundations of Open Source” article was useful

for me, but I’m seeing why nolo press isn’t enough.

Plan B is to find some other academic / museum context to host the additional work,

supposing our project goals are consistent with their ongoing work (CHM, Software

Preservation Network, LFG foundation? University with related research efforts,

(not part of SPN?)

Jul 31, 2021, 6:25:47 PM7/31/21
to Larry Masinter, Interlisp core
I've had dealings with Software in the Public Interest (spi-inc.org), which is a not-for-profit whose purpose is to serve as a corporate umbrella for free and open-source software.  I found them very helpful in laying out what they can and can't do for software projects.  One thing they definitely can do is accept targeted donations, which then can be disbursed on the request of the Liaison, the person who represents the project to SPI.  They can also hold copyrights for us. Among their projects are Debian, LibreOffice, MinGW (gcc for Windows), and PostgreSQL.

Do we have a licensing story currently?  Who is the actual copyright owner?