Plyr & Spark Anyone?

Steven Núñez

Sep 14, 2014, 3:10:46 PM9/14/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

Greetings All,

It seems a bit slow around here, so I thought I’d see if the project was still alive by asking if anyone knows of a plyr like package for lisp. Sadly I need to use R for work until I can credibly present a lisp alternative.

On another note, has anyone been following Spark, a project out of Berkeley for distributed in-memory computing? One of the companies in the ecosystem has developed a distributed data frame that’s compatible with R that looks very interesting. The Spark API has been wrapped by the Clojure and Python communities, and in just a few hundred lines of code. Wrapping lisp around it might make a good project for some grad student, and get lisp into the big data game, where, sadly, it seems to be completely invisible.

Regards,

-          Steve

Tamas Papp

Sep 15, 2014, 3:45:42 AM9/15/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this won't be the answer you are looking for, but have you tried
julia? It is very similar to Lisp (even CL), with an M-expression
surface syntax. I think I will be switching to Julia from CL for
numerical computations, their user community has the critical mass that
CL lacks.

Best,

Tamas

A.J. Rossini

Sep 15, 2014, 4:43:10 AM9/15/14
to lisp-stat

It is still alive, I need to commit my changes to the dataframe class to the repro.

Tamas' point is good, though.  I am not sure that I would go numerical instead of statistical, but if speed and numerical analysis are crticial, Julia is good.   This (cls) project is still about crafting and creating and not yet about doing.

I still haven't seen much in the way of contributors though MarcoA's package pushed things a good way forward.

To be clear, I am still missing the formula-to-functions  piece that would make the pieces of plyr simple to implement, and RHO (the dataframe package i am using to experiment with) takes a somewhat different view of the world.

I'm in for a knee operation, so if I am bored, lots will get done during my October recovery and if I am in pain, nothing will.

Best,
-tony

David Hodge

Sep 15, 2014, 6:36:56 AM9/15/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Well it has been a while, changing countries, lives careers and all that takes longer than one wold expect.

However, I have been coeding recently , in a different domain (anyone know of a a good fuzzy string matcher?) and am currently doing a course which is using R,
which makes me pine for Lisp.

So, what I will do is have a look at the current repository after Tony commits his current changes and then i will write an email about what I might be able to do and we can discuss that on this list.

15 September 2014 8:43 pm

It is still alive, I need to commit my changes to the dataframe class to the repro.

Tamas' point is good, though.  I am not sure that I would go numerical instead of statistical, but if speed and numerical analysis are crticial, Julia is good.   This (cls) project is still about crafting and creating and not yet about doing.

I still haven't seen much in the way of contributors though MarcoA's package pushed things a good way forward.

To be clear, I am still missing the formula-to-functions  piece that would make the pieces of plyr simple to implement, and RHO (the dataframe package i am using to experiment with) takes a somewhat different view of the world.

I'm in for a knee operation, so if I am bored, lots will get done during my October recovery and if I am in pain, nothing will.

Best,
-tony

15 September 2014 7:10 am