Another graphics / plotting approach

Peter Schmiedeskamp

Nov 19, 2012, 5:55:14 PM11/19/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Browsing Reddit, as I so often do, I happened across a blog post dealing with data visualization from Clojure and I thought it looked interesting: http://tgk.github.com/2012/11/visualising-gcse-statistics-using-datomic-and-quil.html The short summary is that they have their own library called "Quil" that wraps a more widely used visualization platform called "Processing."

This approach is interesting because Processing appears to support animations as well as static images. If I am to believe the examples, some of the animations are extremely dynamic and capable of being highly stylized. In particular, the Max Plank Institute example demonstrates impressive real-time rendering capability.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along in case it was inspiring to anyone. Googling for "lisp" and "processing" is, of course, fruitless

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Schmiedeskamp

Nov 19, 2012, 6:11:01 PM11/19/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
> The short summary is that they have their own library called "Quil" that
> wraps a more widely used visualization platform called "Processing."

And it appears that Quil is easy to make easy use of Processing due to
running on the JVM. A possibly more common-lisp friendly approach
might be the Javascript version of Processing:
http://processingjs.org/

Of course, with Javascript, D3 also becomes an option.

-p

David Hodge

Nov 19, 2012, 11:02:37 PM11/19/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I think the choice of rednering engine will become quite interesting.

Just to document my understanding of the previous discussions we have as candidates
- gnuplot, the default choice
- CommonQt and whatever there is built on that
- D3 from the javsacript world
- Tamas' Tikz package maybe

I would reiterate that gnu plot is a default choice mainly because it is everywhere and Just Works (™) at thew cost of a fairly ugly interface.

However, if we get the rest of the GoG stuff going the choice of renderer is somewhat less of an issue I think.

And on that Note, Mirko - do you need the SPSS data files. I can get those if you want them

A.J. Rossini

Nov 19, 2012, 11:07:26 PM11/19/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
to continue top posting, there is also RCL and RCLG, which allow one
to use R embedded in CL to create plots. However, then one is limited
off-the-shelf to Linux or OSX as I don't think it works with Microsoft
last I tried.

still working on data frames. David, would be great if you
posted/pushed any experiments. I'll have Q's soonas well.
-tony

Sent from my iPod what's-a-ma-jiggy

David Hodge

Nov 19, 2012, 11:32:43 PM11/19/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

On 20/11/2012, at 12:07 PM, "A.J. Rossini" <blind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> to continue top posting,

I am the chief offender, I admit - but its hard to stop!

> there is also RCL and RCLG, which allow one
> to use R embedded in CL to create plots. However, then one is limited
> off-the-shelf to Linux or OSX as I don't think it works with Microsoft
> last I tried.

should look at that too, though

> still working on data frames. David, would be great if you
> posted/pushed any experiments. I'll have Q's soonas well.
> -tony

So its a timely question. I have something that will infer the type of a column - when i construct the frame, it gets called to fill in var-types, which I can then use to summarise columns automagically - so for categorical variables automatically show things like fivnum/variance etc for each factor etc. It also allows me to write a nicer print-object that takes account of types - so integers print as integers

One minor issue is that with the existing CSV import is that most numbers come in as fixnums (which is ok), but various stock calculations ( end up displaying rationals (i.e. x/y). Just wondering about the best way of dealing with that other than coercing everything to floats when I print. So if the the plan for the new world is not to do that, then I don't have to worry.

I will push stuff to my repo when it gets a little further advanced

And Mirko, sorry if your head is exploding because of my top posting ….. :)