gog: example data sets

Mirko Vukovic

Nov 13, 2012, 8:43:47 AM11/13/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Last night I set down to write some example gog specifications based on examples in the gog book (second edition)

Googling grammar of graphics, I found data files for example figures on this file: http://www.cs.uic.edu/~wilkinson/TheGrammarOfGraphics/GOG.html

Now, before you run off to study these examples, two caveats:
  • figure references are incorrect.  I suspect the references are for the book's first edition
  • I don't see references to polar plots

I did manage to find the correct figures in the second edition for all files but one (wind).

I will post the correct references tonight on the github repository.

Mirko

Mirko Vukovic

Nov 15, 2012, 10:35:28 PM11/15/12
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
I found two on-line references for GPL (the language that GoG examples are written in).  This will clarify the syntax of many of the commands showcased in The GoG book.

These references are pdf documents created by SPSS.  I found them on an IBM and SPSS site.  The links to the pdf's are in README.org on github.  The examples in one of these files are more complete than many of the ones in the book, so I will translate a few.  These examples refer to four datafiles in the spss distribution.  It would be nice to have them in CSV format.  But that is beyond me.

I am not sure of the copyright on these pdf documents, and for that reason I am not including them in the repository.

Mirko