CLUnit ?

Steven Núñez

Aug 2, 2015, 5:46:57 PM8/2/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone know if there was a good reason for selecting CLUnit? I was thinking about writing some unit tests, and notice that whilst it does have documentation, the systems is broken in several places. Is it working for anyone here?

Also, looking for alternatives, I found this blog from 2013: http://russ.unwashedmeme.com/blog/. Things probably haven’t changed too much since then. There it seems to indicate that Stefil and Fiveam are far and away more widely used.

Any thoughts on standardizing on something other than CLUnit (assuming I’m not the only one struggling with making it work).

Regards,

-          SteveN

David Hodge

Aug 2, 2015, 5:54:35 PM8/2/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
I think that a recurrent nit with CL that seems to get picked with frustrating regularity is the whole testing framework thing.

I have not had problems with CLUnit in the past but don't use it for my other projects - I usually use 5am.

Cheers

3 August 2015 9:46 am

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 12:03:39 AM8/3/15
to lisp-stat

There are 2 clunits did you get the right one? I picked it because a later article suggested it was better and after trying it out, found it better than lisp-unit and lift.

Steven Núñez

Aug 3, 2015, 12:05:55 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

I got the same one that you cloned on github. It was sufficiently broken that I wasn’t able to work through the examples in the tutorial. I switched to fiveam and that seems to be maintained and working fine. I’d be interested in reading the later article if you have it.

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 12:17:18 AM8/3/15
to lisp-stat

Feel free to add what you want - happy to switch if you code and document :)

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 12:28:26 AM8/3/15
to lisp-stat

And you need to be specific about "broken".

Ie what you specifically did, what you expected, and why it is wrong... Test cases preferred (so we can write a unit test for you :)).

David Hodge

Aug 3, 2015, 1:26:20 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
So I have just loaded CLS and run the tests.

The infrastructure worked fine.

Steve, you need to show us the error

Cheers

3 August 2015 4:28 pm

And you need to be specific about "broken".

Ie what you specifically did, what you expected, and why it is wrong... Test cases preferred (so we can write a unit test for you :)).

3 August 2015 4:17 pm

Feel free to add what you want - happy to switch if you code and document :)

3 August 2015 4:05 pm

I got the same one that you cloned on github. It was sufficiently broken that I wasn’t able to work through the examples in the tutorial. I switched to fiveam and that seems to be maintained and working fine. I’d be interested in reading the later article if you have it.

Steven Núñez

Aug 3, 2015, 9:06:57 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

Thanks guys. I reported the error on the github site for CLUnit.

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 9:54:40 AM8/3/15
to lisp-stat

Yes, but what was it (do you have a quick link to it?)

Steven Núñez

Aug 3, 2015, 11:21:29 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

https://github.com/tgutu/clunit/issues/10

I think the issue here, besides some things being broken, is the fact that CLUnit is unmaintained. Sure, we could maintain it ourselves, but given that we barely have enough manpower to keep CL-stat alive (and some would debate that), do we really need to be also maintaining a unit testing framework?

-          Steve

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 11:24:41 AM8/3/15
to lisp-stat

Steve, I think you are bike shedding :).. The issue you point out is not important and can be solved with a macro. In fact, equality is tricky enough to never want a non-specific test... As I said, i am happy to listen and convert if you standardize the tests to the system you select and write some docs and examples for use :)..

Just tell me which branch to pull and merge :).

Steven Núñez

Aug 3, 2015, 11:27:55 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think I’m bike shedding at all; I’m being realistic. Yes, I could probably have fixed it easily. The reality is I want to use something that works and I don’t have time to run into all the corners of the dependencies. That’s the main reason for suggesting something other than CLUnit.

A.J. Rossini

Aug 3, 2015, 11:32:46 AM8/3/15
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
As I said, when you have done the conversion or written a macro to convert, I will follow happily.

Until then.....

--
Sent from }*~£%¥>%=,?