WIP: LFE libraries + Hex.pm

Duncan McGreggor

Oct 25, 2016, 12:02:46 PM10/25/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Hey all,

I'm in the process of generating Hex.pm packages [1] for all the LFE projects I maintain. [2] Additionally, the approach I'm using allows for the general use code mirrors, [3] something I've been using for a while, due to past outages at Github (and more recently, issues with Github and Hex.pm due to the DDOS attacks).

Anyway:

You will be seeing packages appear on Hex.pm with the suffix -rc[0-9]+ -- these are "release candidates" only in the loosest sense of the word ... they are helping me test Hex packages, the build process, and the Hex inclusion of other dependencies. Use at your own risk :-)

Or, if you are interested in assisting with this QA procress, use with impunity and file copious tickets :-)

Once I've got them into reasonable shape, I'll increment the rc numbers and make another announcement, but this time letting everyone know the packages are ready for general testing (at which point "release candidate" will be a more accurate name!)

Yours QA-ly,

----

1. And doing so in a way that does not conflate development with deployment -- much to my relief :-)
2. Holy crap, there are a lot of those ...
3. I had previously mirrored many of my projects at Gitlab; as I make my way through the packaging of libraries, I'm mirroring the remaining projects there, too. If you look at the rebar.config and make include files for the projects that have generated Hex.pm packages, you will see how I'm doing this. What's more, if you have private repos for your own projects, as well as Github ones, you can use a similar approach while developing, in the event of outages or administrative requirements.

Sasha Fonseca

Dec 17, 2016, 6:15:09 AM12/17/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Hello @Duncan, do you know if Hex will have LFE support soon? Are LFE packages listed as Erlang or Elixir packages right now?

Duncan McGreggor

Dec 17, 2016, 12:49:09 PM12/17/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Hey Sasha,

Yes, LFE is supported on Hex.pm right now. Eric Bailey maintains the Hex package for LFE itself as well as some other libraries. I maintain a bunch of other LFE packages. I'm still calling mine release candidates, since we're still doing a lot of testing -- but we've been using them successfully so far. From what I understand, Eric has identified some bugs in the rebar3 Hex plugin that has been making our lives a little tricky, but I don't think this affects end users (just library maintainers).

I have found the search capability of the rebar3 Hex plugin to be pretty awful -- it doesn't find all LFE packages. Maybe we're missing some labels or something? Dunno. The web search is much better: it uses both the project name as well as the description to locate packages. I've had to update several projects to include the term "LFE" in them, in order to be found. Here's the listing:
 * https://hex.pm/packages?_utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=lfe&sort=downloads

Hope this helps!

Eric Bailey

Dec 17, 2016, 1:10:22 PM12/17/16
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Duncan is spot on. I've submitted a very hackish patch, but it hasn't been accepted (nor replaced with something better), so as it stands, I'm not able to publish Hex packages (including "vanilla" Erlang ones) with the latest rebar3 and (unpatched) rebar3_hex. The plugin definitely needs an overhaul.
As for the release candidates, they currently don't work without some workarounds, due to the rebar3_hex bug (i.e. the Hex packages claim to have no dependencies and thus don't download them), but in testing locally with a patched version, I was able to use Duncan's updated lfex releases without issue. I've posted some comments and examples in the LFE Slack's #tooling channel, I believe.
I'll ping Tristan and see if we can't get rebar3_hex fixed up. After that, Duncan should be able to publish working releases for the lfex libraries, with minimal or no changes to the lfex code.
Re: rebar3 LFE support in general. There's an outstanding bug wrt LFE tests and `rebar3 eunit`. I'll ping Alisdair/Fred and see if we can't get that sorted too. This issue is simpler than the rebar3_hex one fwiw.

Eric
Dec 17, 2016, 1:16:23 PM12/17/16
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
A quick note: we're deliberately skipping a 1.2.1 Hex package and waiting for types to land (should be in the next few weeks) before publishing another. I can confirm that the 1.2.0 package works great in the mean time.

Eric