Enc: announcing Maxima-Fishbowl, an IPython kernel for Maxima

Jeronimo Pellegrini

Aug 4, 2015, 9:57:10 PM8/4/15
to lis...@googlegroups.com
Olá,

O Maxima é um sistema de álgebra computacional escrito em Common
Lisp, baseado no pioneiro MACSYMA:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/

O Maxima é excelente em computação simbólica (embora também seja
muito útil para computação numérica), e é programável, tanto em
sua própria linguagem como em Common Lisp.

Ontem o Robert Dodier anunciou um kernel do Maxima para o IPython:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/robert-dodier/maxima-fishbowl/blob/master/MaximaFishbowlExample.ipynb

O IPython traz um ambiente de desenvolvimento independente de linguagem,
e há plugins (kernels) para um monte delas, inclusive Common Lisp,
Forth, Perl, Clojure, Scheme, Julia, R e Prolog:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-kernels-for-other-languages

A página do IPYthon:
http://ipython.org/

Uma das vantagens é o alcance (existe o wxMaxima, que faz algo parecido
com o IPython notebook, mas o IPython abrange público maior hoje)

Segue a mensagem do Robert com o anúncio.

J.

----- Forwarded message from Robert Dodier <robert...@gmail.com> -----

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 22:48:23 +0000 (UTC)
From: Robert Dodier <robert...@gmail.com>
To: maxima-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Maxima-discuss] announcing Maxima-Fishbowl, an IPython kernel for Maxima

To whom it may concern, I've constructed an IPython kernel (back end)
for Maxima, based on the Fishbowl project of Frederic Peschanski. Many
thanks to Frederic!

IPython is a user interface for interactive sessions, which separates
the display from the language-dependent kernel. Originally devised as an
improved UI for Python sessions, kernels have been created for many
other languages, including Common Lisp (Fishbowl) and now Maxima
(Maxima-Fishbowl).

The interesting part of the UI, to me, is the notebook interface. The
IPython notebook can combine text, formulas, and graphics. An example of
a notebook containing Maxima stuff:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/robert-dodier/maxima-fishbowl/blob/master/MaximaFishbowlExample.ipynb

A motivation here is to use IPython to compose documents or articles
which make use of Maxima. I'll keep you posted if I make any progress
with that.

The code, such as it is, and some other stuff can be found at:
https://github.com/robert-dodier/maxima-fishbowl

Bear in mind that there are a lot of dependencies, and, while the code
isn't all that complicated, it might take some dedication to wade
through resolving all the dependencies, both Python and Lisp.

As an aside, Maxima-Fishbowl is built by starting with an existing
Maxima executable image, loading Fishbowl into it, and saving the
resulting image. It seems like that would be a general way to create
an IPython kernel for other CL applications.

I'd be happy to hear any comments you might have.

best,

Robert Dodier

----- End forwarded message -----