Evolution

Lisa Walford

Jul 2, 2021, 1:23:34 AM7/2/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
Evolution
We are survivors of immeasurable events,
Flung upon some reach of land
Small, wet miracles without instructions,
Only the imperative to change.
                                Rebecca Elson, A Responsibility of Awe

Rebecca Elson (1960 - 1999) was a Canadian-American astronomer and author. Impassioned, and extraordinarily bright, at the age of 22 she completed her master's degree in physics and wrote her PHD thesis. In 1989 she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and died ten years later. Perhaps her imminent death and love of the expansive universe inspired her poetry.

I find this poem very poignant right now. We are collectively living through an immeasurable event and find ourselves with few and often conflicting instructions, and a certain resiliency to carry on. We feel small in the face of this equal opportunity disease; small, yes, but miraculous in the way that so many have prayed for, cooked for, cleaned, cried, and cared for people they did not even know. May we continue to stand up strong for this imperative to change...

See you in class!
Wednesday pranayama 7:30 - 8:30 and Friday from 9:00 - 10:30