The MahaBharata

Lisa Walford

May 19, 2021, 8:05:59 PM5/19/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
The dialogue at the river, between DHARMA and Yudhishthira

This epic story is one of the major foundations of Hinduism and yet the mythic symbolism applies to everyone. This translation is from the film version written and directed by Peter Brook. I was fortunate to see the actual play in 1984. It was presented over two nights as part of the Los Angeles fringe art festival during the Olmpics.
The film was available in an abbreviated 3 hour version, but I cannot find that online. There is a 5 hour version that is well worth binging. The production is extraordinary, the cast international. I have watched it several times. It would help to read a synopsis of the story before you embark on this magical experience.

Here is a cut of this scene and the dialog between Dharma and Yudhishthira. Watch it!

The MAHABHARATA: dialogue at the river, between DHARMA and Yudhishthira

What is quicker than the wind?

Thought

What can cover the earth?

Darkness

Who are more numerous, the living or the dead?

The living, for the dead are no longer

Give me an example of space

My two hands as one

Give me an example of grief

Ignorance

Give me an example of poison

Desire

Give me an example of defeat

Victory

Which came first, day or night?

Day, but it was only a day ahead

What is the cause of the world?

Love

What is your opposite?

Myself

What is madness?

A forgotten way

And revolt? Why do men revolt?

To find beauty, either in life or death

And what for each of us is inevitable?

Happiness

And what is the greatest wonder?

Each day death strikes, and we live as if we were immortal.

This is the greatest wonder.