The Blessing of the Morning Light

Lisa Walford

Mar 27, 2021, 1:58:48 AM3/27/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
Full moon bright
green slivers pierce
the bark of earth awakens

Saturday night is the first full moon of spring. Light emerges, colors buff and bold, green, gold, soft and fresh.
I discovered the writings of David Whyte several years ago. He is a contemporary Irish poet now living in the Pacific Northwest. In his youth he traveled extensively and had several mystical experiences in India. This poem, The Blessing of the Morning Light, evokes the ineffable pause that we embrace at the apex of an inhalation or the hollowing out of each exhalation; yet to be resurrected again.

I read this poem to myself weekly, just as I have the privilege of soaking in the moon light tonight. Enjoy both!

The blessing of the morning light to you,
may it find you even in your invisible
appearances, may you be seen to have risen
from some other place you know and have known
in the darkness and that that carries all you need.
May you see what is hidden in you as a place
of hospitality and shadowed shelter,
may what is hidden in you become your gift
to give, may you hold that shadow to the light
and the silence of that shelter to the word
of the light, may you join every previous
disappearances with this new appearance,
this new morning, this being seen again,
new and newly alive.
David Whyte