Wise effort

Lisa Walford

Feb 18, 2021, 5:24:57 PM2/18/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
From the Tao Te Ching
Better to know when to stop
Than continue pouring until you spill.
Keep sharpening a knife,
And soon the edge is blunt.
Keep filling your house with treasures,
And soon it is not secure.
Maintain arrogance,
And you fashion your own destruction.
_Simply do good work
_And then withdraw
_This is the Way of the Tao.
           translation by Guy Leekly

We live in complex times. Perhaps every generation feels that way. Certainly we hope to join our inner world a little wiser, a little kinder, day by day, year by year.  And to leave the world; at least our close friends, family, colleagues and communities, a little better, safer and kinder, day by day, year by year. We try. Our actions sometimes backfire, take a different route then intended. Our words fly out too fast; or they stay caged inside. Our thoughts race better then any hamster on a hamster wheel. yes, I have these days too.
Several of my students have noticed lately how hard they try in pranayama class, and that this striving undermines discovery. We strive to achieve, to relax, to get a good night sleep, to eat well. We pursue mastery, we genuinely want to improve.

One of the main tenents of the Bhagavad Gita is to not be attached to the outcome of our actions, and yet to act wisely in accordance with your nature. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali balance two key principals, wise effort (Abhyasa) and renunciation (Vairagya).

In pranayama class, notice when your expectations sabotage your experience. In our asana class, notice when you judge yourself. Practice according to your needs! In pranayama, less is more. Please do not keep inhaling until you stiffen up! Less is more. Sensitivity and patience will support you. In asana class, please practice judiciously according to your body's needs today. Not last year, or ten years ago! Respect and patience here will support you.

Join me on Wednesday from 7:30 - 8:30 AM for pranayama and on Fridays from 9:00 - 10:30 AM PCT at  https://athome.yogaworks.com/

"The Art of Peace is based on Four Great Virtues: Bravery, Wisdom, Love, and Friendship, symbolized by Fire, Heaven, Earth, and Water."      #26
  Excerpted from The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba (the founder of Aikido) translated by John Stevens.