Making Peace

Lisa Walford

Apr 7, 2021, 8:46:21 PM4/7/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
In Shree B.K.S. Iyengar's book Light on Life, he describes an antidote to the stresses and anxieties in our lives as the Six Spokes of the Wheel of Peace. These are: discrimination and reasoning, practice and detachment, and faith and courage. I might consider these as the head (thinking), hands (doing) and heart (feeling) of the practice.
He suggests that "yoga is not asking us to refrain from enjoyment. Draw the exquisite fragrance of the flower. Yoga is against bondage. Bondage is being tied to patterns of behavior from which we cannot withdraw... So yoga says keep the freshness, keep the pristine, keep the virginity of sensitivity."

And of course, our pranayama practice rests on the foundation of a stable body that is at ease and alert; and a quiet, tranquil mind.
I know that practicing daily can seem like a chore, and it will be if you get bored. You might benefit from changing the set up you use for Savasana from day to day. Some days I use a horizontal bolster for supine practice, on others folded blankets to support the spine. Begin graciously. Meaning, accept if you get restless or fall asleep. Change to a sitting pose if this persists. You may benefit from following a recording. There are several on my website. And above all, be realistic. Ten minutes, maybe after feed the cat, or before you walk the dog..

This poem, Making Peace, written by Denise Levertov in response to the civil unrest during the Vietnam War in the 1970s, is timeless. There is no accident that Ahimsa is the first and foremost tenant in Buddhism as well as the Yoga Sutras, for humanity appears to build upon a bedrock of power and conquest rather then peace and mutuality. This week, as we collectively acknowledge the anguish surrounding the death of George Floyd and review the trial of Derek Chauvin, I realize how real this poem is for NOW.  Levertov asks us to imagine reconfiguring our lives... I suggest that everything is at stake if we are to create a future that we would hope for our children.

Making Peace

A voice from the dark called out,

             ‘The poets must give us

imagination of peace, to oust the intense, familiar

imagination of disaster. Peace, not only

the absence of war.’

                                   But peace, like a poem,

is not there ahead of itself,

can’t be imagined before it is made,

can’t be known except

in the words of its making,

grammar of justice,

syntax of mutual aid.

                                       A feeling towards it,

dimly sensing a rhythm, is all we have

until we begin to utter its metaphors,

learning them as we speak.

                                              A line of peace might appear

if we restructured the sentence our lives are making,

revoked its reaffirmation of profit and power,

questioned our needs, allowed

long pauses . . .

                        A cadence of peace might balance its weight

on that different fulcrum; peace, a presence,

an energy field more intense than war,

might pulse then,

stanza by stanza into the world,

each act of living

one of its words, each word

a vibration of light—facets

of the forming crystal.

Denise Levertov, “Making Peace” from Breathing the Water.