Poet in our midst, Robbi Nestor

Lisa Walford

Oct 12, 2021, 10:20:45 PM10/12/21
to Lisa Walford Pranayama
Last week our fellow pranayama enthusiast read one of her poems. We have such talent among us, I am inspired by the gifts that each of you bring to our gathering. Robbi read this to us. I find that I meet a poem more deeply when I read it several times, and take my time to savor the images, feelings, and metaphors. I hope to see some of you Wednesday morning for another pranayama experience.
https://athome.yogaworks.com/

Birthday of the World

Jewish New Year opens the door

to winter, ruddy-cheeked and beckoning,

baskets of apples, jars of honey overflowing,

the scent of cinnamon, challah proofing

in the oven. These times have seemed

a prelude to the end, but it’s the promise

of continuing that draws me. The sky’s

an angry orange, ancient redwoods

hollowed out like reeds playing a mournful

tune. The climate’s come unhinged—record

heat followed by winter storms. Fire

makes its own weather, raising winds

and clouds that can be seen from space.

Yet for now, life continues, insistent

as a root, the New Year crowned with

a braided wreath of challah, reminding me

that seasons cycle. Already, leaves begin

to fall, seedpods fatten, days shorter, morning

darker every day. Soon, rains will hammer

on the roof, the smell of eucalyptus rising

from the earth. A pot of lentil soup will simmer

on the stove. Armies of flames will stop

advancing across the treeline. Before

they start again, we’ll get another chance

to sing old songs with new intentions.
Robbi Nestor

Here is a link where you can review and purchase her book, "A Season for Mending"
This conversation is locked