VR headset + green screen

Jason Holt

Apr 8, 2016, 1:24:42 AM4/8/16
to liquid...@googlegroups.com
If they'd film it in 360 they could play it back on a galaxy:

http://www.geek.com/games/valve-gives-us-a-true-taste-of-vr-using-a-green-screen-1651507/

Andrew Leahy

Apr 8, 2016, 4:46:05 AM4/8/16
to liquid-galaxy
cool!

We don't just want to "playback" VR video in 360, we want the live VR apps to be running as first class content on wrap-around Galaxy screens so onlookers can enjoy what's going on. Point out stuff, get in the way, interact with the player verbally, etc... right now HMD user is still a single player experience. Having other people around you "see what you see" but more than a 90degree view on a big screen TV is neat.

Also in a couple of years we'll all be wearing headsets and sharing the experience... probably. But for a percentage of people headsets just don't work. And for most people long-term HMD use (say more than 10minutes) is pretty awful without long-term training & exposure.

Andrew

On 8 April 2016 at 15:24, 'Jason Holt' via liquid-galaxy <liquid...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
If they'd film it in 360 they could play it back on a galaxy:

http://www.geek.com/games/valve-gives-us-a-true-taste-of-vr-using-a-green-screen-1651507/

Hyper Sonic

Apr 10, 2016, 3:53:46 PM4/10/16
to liquid-galaxy
Ya a 360deg camera in the middle of a surrounding green cube screen would rock! In that video you're limited to just the frustum slice the cameraman chose when filming. Though even with a 360deg camera you're still limited to one vantage point. Alternatively one can do just like the movie Avatar where it tracks your entire body then you can see your virtual self rather than your actual self.

I don't like goggles being seen as the only way to experience 'virtual reality' either. How well do polarized 3D glasses work on Liquid Galaxy setups? Games like 'Descent' and 'Quake' 2 decades ago were 'virtual reality' as you could see 360deg around and move all around a 3D enviroment.  Apparently Descent did have stereographics back in the 1990's, though the 263 x 230 per eye resolution seems horrible (perhaps the motion to photon latency wasn't so hot either) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality#1990.E2.80.932000 It's interesting that the original devs of Descent is giving 6DOF and VR another go with Overload for 2017 http://playoverload.com/team/

(I'm assuming stereographic is the same as stereoscopic)