Samsung GearVR - multidevice sync "Presentation Mode"

Andrew Leahy

Jul 8, 2017, 6:11:36 AM7/8/17
to liquid-galaxy

This may be of interest - some GearVR apps allow multi-device sync.

I haven't played with this, I don't have any Samsung devices, it may be interesting for syncing a camera pose to/from Galaxy rig.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8DCrhnr6Bs

"The following information is provided for developers interested in the implementation details for Presentation Mode.

Mirroring UDP Command Formats

The Presentation Mode actions are transmitted using the User Datagram Protocol. The following JSON format commands are generated by a device configured for Presenter Mode or Presenter Mode - Auto. (Please see our Synchronizing Help page for the command formats used with Presenter Mode - Manual.) We may add to these commands over time, but the information in the current command set will remain unchanged. Your own application may utilize these commands.

The following command is generated anytime a video starts playing. See the FAQ - Gear VR App page for information about the audio_type and video_type codes that appear in this command.

{"cmd":"load", "data":{"url":"https://360samsungvr.com/cdn/Dcblxr5RstI/master_list.m3u8","position":0,"audio_type":"stereo","video_type":"_mono360","title":"Ground Zero Reborn: Lower<br/> Manhattan, 15 years after 9/11","timestamp":"09/14/2016 10:47:45"}}

The following command is generated any time Pause is selected. The data portion is a Samsung VR Service video id.

{"cmd":"pause", "data":"Dcblxr5RstI"}

The following command is generated any time Play is selected. The data portion is a Samsung VR Service video id.

{"cmd":"play", "data":"Dcblxr5RstI"}

The following command is generated when video playback is stopped. The data portion is a Samsung VR Service video id.

{"cmd":"stop", "data":"Dcblxr5RstI"}

The following command is generated when the user seeks to a position in a video. The data portion is a time position in the video in milliseconds.

{"cmd":"seekto", "data":35456}

The following command is generated to report the current viewing position. These commands are generated at close to 60 times a second.

{"cmd":"headpos", "data":"rx=21.75736ry=288.1837rz=352.5051"}

UDP Port Number

The default UDP port used by both applications for Presentation Mode is port 5000. The port number used by both applications can be changed using a command placed in the Samsung VR for Gear VR user.cfg file. For example, the following string placed in the user.cfg file would change the UDP port used to 4500.

udp-port:4500

Either application needs to be restarted in order for the port number change to take effect.