Looking for linux monitoring applicaitons

Jeremiah Garmatter

Sep 25, 2020, 4:06:29 PM9/25/20
to Linux Users Group
Hello,

As the title says, I am looking for a (preferably free) web-based application that will help me keep an eye on my servers' resources. Most of the servers are Centos and RHEL 7. I am hoping for suggestions on a program that can monitor RAM, CPU, and storage consumption from one central location so I don't need to run commands on every server. If it can alert me when errors are logged or resources are above 90% usage would be appreciated as well.

Jeremiah Bess

Sep 25, 2020, 4:09:09 PM9/25/20
to LUG
I've never had the need for server monitoring, but Zabbix, Nagios, and LibreNMS are ones that often come up when reading about server administration tools.

Jeremiah Bess

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:06 PM Jeremiah Garmatter <j-gar...@onu.edu> wrote:
Hello,

As the title says, I am looking for a (preferably free) web-based application that will help me keep an eye on my servers' resources. Most of the servers are Centos and RHEL 7. I am hoping for suggestions on a program that can monitor RAM, CPU, and storage consumption from one central location so I don't need to run commands on every server. If it can alert me when errors are logged or resources are above 90% usage would be appreciated as well.

mike....@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2020, 9:24:35 PM9/25/20
to Linux Users Group
Ive found Zabix, Nagios, etc to be very difficult to setup and complex to pick up and configure.

I use Monit at my work, we are a medium size business w about 80 Centos 7 servers, it does a good job of notifying on any kind of alert, CPU, MEM, etc, can monitor specific procs, files, sockets, etc pretty much anything you can think of

very easy to install and configure,

Jeremiah Garmatter

Sep 28, 2020, 8:04:49 AM9/28/20
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

After I did some research, I saw cockpit suggested as well. It looks like it comes with certain RHEL and CentOS 8 installations. Do you have any opinions on it?

-Jeremiah Garmatter

Miesiu

Sep 29, 2020, 8:35:39 AM9/29/20
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Nagios.

pt., 25 wrz 2020 o 22:06 Jeremiah Garmatter <j-gar...@onu.edu> napisał(a):
Hello,

As the title says, I am looking for a (preferably free) web-based application that will help me keep an eye on my servers' resources. Most of the servers are Centos and RHEL 7. I am hoping for suggestions on a program that can monitor RAM, CPU, and storage consumption from one central location so I don't need to run commands on every server. If it can alert me when errors are logged or resources are above 90% usage would be appreciated as well.

Pozdrawiam
Miesiu

https://teamquest.pl/praca-w-it/s/3

Południowoamerykańscy naukowcy z Argentyny, po długotrwałych badaniach odkryli, że ludzie z niskim poziomem inteligencji czytają e-maile trzymając rękę na myszce...
Nie zdejmuj, już za późno!

Scott Vargovich

Sep 29, 2020, 12:29:39 PM9/29/20
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Another option not mentioned thus far is snort.

--
<><  Scott Vargovich  <><
OpenPGP Key ID: 29C36884

mike....@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2020, 1:35:14 PM9/29/20
to Linux Users Group
Snort is a IDS, network sniffer, not true alert tool like Zabix, Nagios etc