CentOS Changes

Jeremiah Garmatter

Jan 21, 2021, 11:40:59 AM1/21/21
to Linux Users Group
Hello,

Recently Centos posted on their blog a shift to Centos Stream. Link to article: https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Looks like Centos 8 EOL will be pushed up to December 2021, while Centos 7 EOL remains until 2024. Centos users are recommended to migrate to Centos Stream. From what I understand, this almost seems like an upstream development branch for redhat.

I've heard that Oracle linux is taking advantage of the situation as well: https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/ They are providing a script that essentially turns an existing Centos system into Oracle linux.

I just wanted to post this here to inform others and to see if anyone had opinions or thoughts on alternatives to Centos.

Daniel Eggleston

Jan 21, 2021, 11:57:28 AM1/21/21
to Linux Users Group
If you're pretty well married to CentOS, then RHEL's new freebie program might appeal:

Granted, it's only good up to 16 production servers, and targeting development users, but that would cover a fair number using CentOS.

Jan 22, 2021, 2:24:33 AM1/22/21
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
The CentOS founder has also reformed the project as Rocky Linux: https://rockylinux.org/ They don't appear to have a release yet, but I imagine they'll have something rather soon.

Bill Oliver

Jan 22, 2021, 8:14:57 AM1/22/21
On Thu, 2021-01-21 at 23:24 -0800, Chris Miller wrote:
The CentOS founder has also reformed the project as Rocky Linux: https://rockylinux.org/ They don't appear to have a release yet, but I imagine they'll have something rather soon.

It will be very interesting to see how FermiLab/CERN handles this.  I suspect they will not go with Stream, and they probably don't want to go back to maintaining Scientific Linux. But I suspect wherever they land, it may become the dominant replacement for CentOS.  It makes sense for Red Hat to push the cost of maintaining the dominant freebie RHEL clone onto someone else -- whether it's Oracle or an independent group.  And it makes sense to turn CentOS users into late stage beta testers, just like we Fedora folk are early stage ones. TANSTAAFL and all that.  I'm amazed Red Hat didn't do this a decade ago.

billo

highs...@yahoo.de

Jan 26, 2021, 3:32:45 AM1/26/21
to LUG
cp -r a*.txt daten backup

hello
does this copy all files from hd to a new directory?

regards
Sophie

Jeremiah Bess

Jan 26, 2021, 9:02:22 AM1/26/21
to LUG
Not quite. Assuming you want to get all the a*.txt files recursively inside the daten directory, this is the correct syntax:

cp -r date/a*txt backup

Jeremiah Bess

highs...@yahoo.de

Feb 13, 2021, 11:55:18 AM2/13/21
to Jeremiah Bess
$ ls
altundnurso  backhp  toburnab25319  tun
$ cp -r tun/a*.txt hpback132
cp: Aufruf von stat für 'tun/a*.txt' nicht möglich: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Hello
What do I do wrong?
Regards

Sophie

highs...@yahoo.de

Feb 18, 2021, 11:27:11 AM2/18/21
to Jeremiah Bess
hello
I tried sth:

cp -r checkold/*.txt checknew

Before I put some files to
checkold.

It did work.
cp -r checkold/*.txt checknew

Then I created

in a subdirectory
checkold/try/1.txt
checkold/try/2.txt
and so on.

I did again:
cp -r checkold/*.txt checknew
and only the files from checkold
did walk to checknew.
But
the files in the subdir
checkold/try/
were not copied.

What do I do wrong?

Regards

Sophie

Am 13.02.21 um 18:02 schrieb Jeremiah Bess:
> No files matching a*.txt were found in your tun directory. a*.txt means
> anything matching that starts with an "a" and ends in ".txt". So it would
> match a1.txt, apple.txt, abc.txt. Do an 'ls -l tun' and see what files you
> have available.
>
> Jeremiah Bess

highs...@yahoo.de

Feb 23, 2021, 7:46:31 AM2/23/21