Curious about some technical aspects.

Mayank Mundhra

Jan 12, 2017, 6:27:14 AM1/12/17
to Linux users IITM
Dear All,

I am curious about a technical aspect, kindly explain the factors that affect or cause the same.

So since past two - three semesters I've observed that at the start of the semester, the time sync goes haywire. Either because of time updation or server not found. Mainly updation issues. Thus there happens to be an hour or more plus minus gaps. I previously used to think that it was due to some changes in my machine and would try to debug and fix it. Resulting in good amount of time lost. Recently too the problem has occurred. There were no changes in my machine. Curious as to why the problem comes up. It sure fire is an interesting thing to know about. Has anyone else too faced this?

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
Mayank Mundhra

Karthik Nishanth

Jan 12, 2017, 6:28:48 AM1/12/17
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Do you dual boot? That can be a cause.

IIT Madras Linux Users' Group
http://groups.google.co.in/group/linuxusers_iitm
http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~osslab/wiki

---

Shahidh K Muhammed

Jan 12, 2017, 8:51:28 PM1/12/17
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
How much is the time difference? Is it always a constant difference of 5:30 hrs? In that case, if you are dual booting with Windows and Linux, Windows will set BIOS clock as local time and Linux will take it as GMT, hence resulting in a clock which is 5:30 hrs ahead. The solution is to tell Windows to treat BIOS clock as GMT (UTC)

IIT Madras Linux Users' Group
http://groups.google.co.in/group/linuxusers_iitm
http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~osslab/wiki

---

Thanks and regards,

Shahidh

Mayank Mundhra

Jan 19, 2017, 5:30:44 AM1/19/17
to Linux users IITM
1 hour difference.
It's not a flaw with dual boot.

Shahidh K Muhammed

Jan 19, 2017, 8:23:12 AM1/19/17
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
What is the distro and which version? What about kernel version? Also, check your NTP servers by executing timedatectl status

Narendiran

Jan 19, 2017, 10:42:35 AM1/19/17
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Do you have daylight savings time enables in windows or linux?

Also is your time zone set to Asia/Kolkata in both the OS?

1hr difference about every six months sounds like a DST issue?

We don't follow DST in India. Make sure the the time zone is Asia/Kolkata and DST is turned OFF.
A. Narendiran

Mayank Mundhra

Jan 21, 2017, 12:34:47 AM1/21/17
to Linux users IITM
Yup, although I have dual boot, my primary OS has been windows. Ubuntu has been used sparingly or not at all. DST is off in ubuntu. The Ubuntu and Windows time sync and real world time sync was perfect in vacations and before that but something always happens in the first few weeks of insti starting. :o And I've been in insti in vacations.
The time is back in sync since the past few days but before there was a one hour difference. Showed 8.34 when it was 9.34
A. Narendiran