WiFi Router Setup

Rahul Gulve

Sep 24, 2015, 11:00:01 AM9/24/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I use WiFi router in my room for accessing internet. Other people also use the same WiFi. But all the devices connected to WiFi router use same netaccess account. I would like to configure my WiFi router like the router in library where different devices can access different netaccess accounts.

Currently i am using my router in DHCP mode.
What settings should be done to use the router so that multiple netaccess accounts can be accessed from same router?

Thanks in advance

sarath srinivas

Sep 24, 2015, 11:01:41 AM9/24/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Switch off the dhcp server in the router.

IIT Madras Linux Users' Group
http://groups.google.co.in/group/linuxusers_iitm
http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~osslab/wiki

---

Radhakrishna Ganti

Sep 24, 2015, 11:02:48 AM9/24/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
I think you should convert it to a switch.

-RK
--
Asst. Professor,  Dept. of Electrical Engineering,  IIT Madras.

Nitin Chandrachoodan

Sep 24, 2015, 11:10:13 AM9/24/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Both of the previous answers :-)
You need to first turn off the DHCP server (this is very important or
you will mess the net up for everyone in your hostel) and then connect
the uplink to one of the regular ports instead of the normal uplink
port. That way your WiFi router acts like a switch and just passes on
all information to the servers in CC instead of assigning IPs by
itself.

Please remember to turn off the DHCP - this can really mess things up
for everyone else otherwise. Of course, what this means is that now if
you want to configure your router you will need to manually assign an
address to your PC that is in the subnet of the router.

Nitin

--
Nitin Chandrachoodan
Associate Professor

Rahul Gulve

Sep 28, 2015, 12:20:14 PM9/28/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
when i turned off my DHCP server i could not connect to wifi network and could not access http://192.168.0.1
so i had to factory reset the router

What type of internet connection should i choose ?
DHCP or static ip

Nitin Chandrachoodan

Sep 28, 2015, 12:59:15 PM9/28/15
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
You will not be able to access the router any more, but you should be
getting an IP of the form 10.22.x.y from the CC DHCP server. This will
allow you to connect to the campus LAN but not to your router. If you
now want to connect to the router you will need to disconnect the
router from the LAN, plug the cable from your computer to one of the
regular ports of the router, and manually assign an IP of the form
192.168.0.100 or something like that to the computer, so it can access
192.168.0.1.

Please do NOT set static IP. Use DHCP only.

Nitin

--
Nitin Chandrachoodan
Associate Professor
Department of Electrical Engineering
IIT Madras
http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nitin/

cs17...@smail.iitm.ac.in

Nov 19, 2017, 8:00:48 AM11/19/17
to Linux users IITM
Hi,

    I found this interesting, out of curiosity i'm asking, When DHCP is turned on, it gets an 10.22.x.x IP from CC DHCP server. and creates a subnet in my room with 192.168.x.x, so when i login into netaccess, CC servers think my router as an independent machine and gives provision to internet. How this setup can mess up the entire hostel network ? I'm unable to relate the things or i think i'm missing something. could you please explain in brief

--
S P Vinayaka
MTech 2017-2019

Karthik Nishanth

Nov 19, 2017, 9:19:05 AM11/19/17
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
If you connect the Ethernet cable from your wall socket to the WAN port of your router, there shouldn't be any issue. When you connect it to one of the regular ports to make the router act like a switch, you need to turn off DHCP.