crosstool-0.43 does not work and is not supported

Donna

Oct 14, 2011, 4:08:36 PM10/14/11
to linuxstamp
So, I have spent an enormous amount of time on crosstool-0.43 and it
just does not work, the currently supported gcc is 4.4 and crosstool
tops out at 4.1 which is not available. So i tried to use the 2.18 bin
utils but then gcc 4.4 will not work with them

My conclusion is that if anyone tries to follow the instructions
listed in the opencircuits forum, it iwll not work. I read a bunch of
posts and it all says the crosstool-0.43 is no longet supported and to
switch to crosstool-ng.

So unless someone knows how to get around the compiler version
problem, I would say that crosstool-0.43 is DOA. Has anyone tried
crosstool-ng? It would be nice to have a supported tool, I think

Paul Thomas

Oct 14, 2011, 4:15:49 PM10/14/11
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Yes that's why the 9260 and 9g20 stuff uses crosstool-ng
http://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260#Cross_Compiler

crosstool-ng is how I built the eabi gcc 4.3.2 toolchain here:
http://linuxstamp.budgetdedicated.com/index.php?dir=&file=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-20090309.tar.bz2

The old wiki for the original linuxstamp should still be correct for
the old crosstool with the old gcc 3.4.5 and an older distro, but it
is not surprising that you can mix and match it with newer versions of
gcc

thanks,
Paul

Donna

Oct 14, 2011, 4:46:13 PM10/14/11
to linuxstamp
So if the old crosstool works, which I had it working, then why do I
get the kernel panic message when not selecting the EABI kernel
option? How do you get around that when the only way to get that is
to have gcc 4.0 or higher ? It seems to me that there is a catch 22
there?

On Oct 14, 1:15 pm, Paul Thomas <pthomas8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that's why the 9260 and 9g20 stuff uses crosstool-nghttp://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260#Cross_Compiler
>
> crosstool-ng is how I built the eabi gcc 4.3.2 toolchain here:http://linuxstamp.budgetdedicated.com/index.php?dir=&file=arm-unknown...

Donna

Oct 14, 2011, 4:46:58 PM10/14/11
to linuxstamp
So I downloaded those two files, but if I install them is it going to
work for the AT91RM9200 or does it only work for the 9260 ?

On Oct 14, 1:15 pm, Paul Thomas <pthomas8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that's why the 9260 and 9g20 stuff uses crosstool-nghttp://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260#Cross_Compiler
>
> crosstool-ng is how I built the eabi gcc 4.3.2 toolchain here:http://linuxstamp.budgetdedicated.com/index.php?dir=&file=arm-unknown...

Paul Thomas

Oct 14, 2011, 4:48:38 PM10/14/11
to linux...@googlegroups.com
You must also use a non-EABI filesystem with a non-EABI kernel. Do you
get the panic right after the vfs mount?

thanks,
Paul

Donna

Oct 14, 2011, 4:49:43 PM10/14/11
to linuxstamp
Those 2 links seem to point to the same file ?

On Oct 14, 1:15 pm, Paul Thomas <pthomas8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that's why the 9260 and 9g20 stuff uses crosstool-nghttp://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260#Cross_Compiler
>
> crosstool-ng is how I built the eabi gcc 4.3.2 toolchain here:http://linuxstamp.budgetdedicated.com/index.php?dir=&file=arm-unknown...

Donna

Oct 14, 2011, 5:03:04 PM10/14/11
to linuxstamp
yes,

VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 104K

Changing out the fs seems simpler for now, really, I just want to
prove out that the gsm modem will work with the board, if it does,
then I will install the new tool chain.

How can I get a non-EABI filesystem ? Is there one on the ftp site ?

thank you very much for helping me,

Paul Thomas

Oct 14, 2011, 5:07:05 PM10/14/11
to linux...@googlegroups.com

Flavio Castro Alves Filho

Oct 25, 2011, 8:42:02 PM10/25/11
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Donna,

If you want to build your own toolchain, crosstool-ng is highly recomended.

Old crosstool works fine for LS-1, but crosstool-ng can also build for
old LS too.

If you build your new toolchain, it is also recommended to build the
complete system (kernel + filesystem).

Toolchains from codesourcery are very nice too.

Best regards,

Flavio

2011/10/14 Paul Thomas <pthom...@gmail.com>:

--