[Samba] strange problem foxpro run exe on win 10

Michal Kavan via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 3:30:04 PM3/19/17
hi,

one of my customers still use old foxpro
we migrate from samba 3.6.3 to samba 4.1.17
and everything seems to be alright

foxpro is using command "run" to starts external program and when I star
for example Wordpad by "run wordpad" I get Access denied
but when I directly run worpad, then everything runs ok
And this behavior appears only on Win7 - Win10 and not on WinXp
I set linux rights to 7777 to be sure, and i can write to folder.

Where should i start looking for problem (logs ...)?
thanks mk

--
Michal Kavan
+420 776 291 782

---
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Rowland Penny via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 4:00:03 PM3/19/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:16:55 +0100
Michal Kavan via samba <sa...@lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Where should i start looking for problem (logs ...)?
> thanks mk

I good place to start would be posting your smb.conf, by doing this we
can see how you are running Samba and advise if any alterations to it
are required.

Rowland

Michal Kavan via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 4:10:04 PM3/19/17
here it is
----
[global]
workgroup = all
server string = Samba Server
load printers = no
security = user
max log size = 200
time server = yes
local master = no
os level = 10
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
printcap name = /dev/null
netbios name = new07server-fst
# log level = 2 acls:10
log level = 10
# null passwords = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
domain master = no
map to guest = Bad Password

domain logons = no
preferred master = no
follow symlinks = yes
guest account = samba_guest

full_audit:success = connect disconnect mkdir rmdir rename unlink
#full_audit:success = connect disconnect mkdir rmdir rename
unlink pread read
full_audit:priority = notice
full_audit:facility = local5
full_audit:prefix = %u |%I %m| %S
full_audit:failure = connect

#full_audit:success = connect disconnect opendir mkdir rmdir closedir
open close read pread write pwrite sendfile rename unlink chmod
#fchmod chown fchown chdir ftruncate lock symlink readlink link mknod
realpath

#acl map full control = False
dos filemode = yes
acl allow execute always = yes

[data]
path = /home/samba/data
comment = aplikace mirror md3
public = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 7777
directory mask = 7777
#guest only = yes
vfs object = full_audit
acl allow execute always = yes
browseable =yes

---
Dne 2017/03/19 v 20:51 Rowland Penny napsal(a):
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:16:55 +0100
> Michal Kavan via samba <sa...@lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Where should i start looking for problem (logs ...)?
>> thanks mk
>>
> I good place to start would be posting your smb.conf, by doing this we
> can see how you are running Samba and advise if any alterations to it
> are required.
>
> Rowland

---
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Rowland Penny via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 4:40:03 PM3/19/17
The only possible problem I can see there (apart from the lines
that are default settings etc) is these lines:

create mask = 7777
directory mask = 7777

'7777' too many 7s, probably should be '0777'

I take it that all users connect as 'guest users', does the guest user
have permission to run the programs you want to run ?

What OS is this and is it possible to upgrade to a later version of
Samba ?
All versions of Samba before 4.4.0 are EOL as far as Samba is
concerned, so if your problem is specific to the 4.1.x series, it will
probably never get fixed.

Rowland

Michal Kavan via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 5:00:03 PM3/19/17
Dne 2017/03/19 v 21:29 Rowland Penny via samba napsal(a):
os is ubuntu 16.04. (i have same behavior also on samba 4.3.11, so i
think thats linked with change from samba 3.6.x >> to 4.xx)
yes, guest user (samba_guest) have permision to run (all files are set
to 777) and i can run program directly and also from win xp, but no from
foxprol on win 7/win10

7777 in create mas was despered try to set also uuid,gid and sticky bit ;]

mk
---
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Thomas Bork via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 5:20:03 PM3/19/17
Am 19.03.2017 um 20:16 schrieb Michal Kavan via samba:

> foxpro is using command "run" to starts external program and when I star
> for example Wordpad by "run wordpad" I get Access denied

acl allow execute always = yes

--
der tom

Rowland Penny via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 5:20:03 PM3/19/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:49:28 +0100
Michal Kavan <michal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> os is ubuntu 16.04. (i have same behavior also on samba 4.3.11, so i
> think thats linked with change from samba 3.6.x >> to 4.xx)
> yes, guest user (samba_guest) have permision to run (all files are
> set to 777) and i can run program directly and also from win xp, but
> no from foxprol on win 7/win10

Hmm, you can run the program directly
You can run the program from an XP client
You cannot run the program from a win 7 or 10 client

This says a Windows 7/10 problem to me, but you could try checking the
server & client max protocol with:

testparm -v | grep 'max protocol'

Rowland

Rowland Penny via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 5:30:02 PM3/19/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:17:44 +0100
Thomas Bork via samba <sa...@lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 19.03.2017 um 20:16 schrieb Michal Kavan via samba:
>
> > foxpro is using command "run" to starts external program and when I
> > star for example Wordpad by "run wordpad" I get Access denied
>
> acl allow execute always = yes

Ah, the line I missed seeing twice in his smb.conf LOL

Rowland

Michal Kavan via samba

Mar 19, 2017, 6:30:03 PM3/19/17
Dne 2017/03/19 v 22:11 Rowland Penny via samba napsal(a):
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:49:28 +0100
> Michal Kavan <michal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> os is ubuntu 16.04. (i have same behavior also on samba 4.3.11, so i
>> think thats linked with change from samba 3.6.x >> to 4.xx)
>> yes, guest user (samba_guest) have permision to run (all files are
>> set to 777) and i can run program directly and also from win xp, but
>> no from foxprol on win 7/win10
>>
> Hmm, you can run the program directly
> You can run the program from an XP client
> You cannot run the program from a win 7 or 10 client
>
> This says a Windows 7/10 problem to me, but you could try checking the
> server & client max protocol with:
>

> testparm -v | grep 'max protocol'
>
> Rowland

yes, its looks like win7/10 problem (but only on samba 4.x) to me, but i
have no idea what to do (except downgrade to 3.6.x)

server max protocol = SMB3
client max protocol = NT1

mk

---
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Rowland Penny via samba

Mar 20, 2017, 5:20:03 AM3/20/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 23:23:58 +0100
Michal Kavan via samba <sa...@lists.samba.org> wrote:

> yes, its looks like win7/10 problem (but only on samba 4.x) to me,
> but i have no idea what to do (except downgrade to 3.6.x)
>

> server max protocol = SMB3
> client max protocol = NT1

Try setting this in smb.conf:

client max protocol = default

Rowland

Michal Kavan via samba

Mar 20, 2017, 3:40:02 PM3/20/17
Dne 20.03.2017 v 10:05 Rowland Penny napsal(a):
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 23:23:58 +0100
> Michal Kavan via samba <sa...@lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> yes, its looks like win7/10 problem (but only on samba 4.x) to me,
>> but i have no idea what to do (except downgrade to 3.6.x)
>>

>> server max protocol = SMB3
>> client max protocol = NT1
>>
> Try setting this in smb.conf:
>
> client max protocol = default
>
> Rowland
when i set client max protocol = default
then testparm -v is the same

server max protocol = SMB3
client max protocol = NT1

--