[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

Karolin Seeger

Aug 19, 2008, 6:50:27 AM8/19/08

"Life is trying things to see if they work."
Ray Bradbury

Release Announcements
=====================

This is a bug fix release of the Samba 3.2 series.

Major bug fixes included in Samba 3.2.2 are:

o Fix removal of dead records in tdb files. This can lead to very large
tdb files and to overflowing partitions as a consequence on systems
running an nmbd daemon.
o Fix "force group" in setups using Winbind.
o Fix freezing Windows Explorer on WinXP while browsing Samba shares.
This one led to timeouts during printing as well.
o Fix assigning of primary group memberships when authenticating via
Winbind.
o Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.

Changes
#######

Changes since 3.2.1
- -------------------

o Michael Adam <ob...@samba.org>
* BUG 5592: Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.
* Fix replacement of random seed generator.
* Fix a race condition in idmap_tdb2_allocate_id().
* Fix unix_convert() for "*" after changing map_nt_error_from_unix().
* Make sure to always set errno on error path in OpenDir.

o Jeremy Allison <j...@samba.org>
* BUG 5675: Fix smbspool program assuming Kerberos authentication by
mistake.
* BUG 5686: Fix segfaults in libsmbclient.
* BUG 5692: Fix coredump in full_audit.so.
* BUG 5696: Fix "force group" in setups using Winbind.
* Rename cifs.spnego to cifs.upcall.
* Fix segfault in cifs.upcall when it is called without any arguments.
* Fix coverity ID 594 (resource leak on error path).
* Fix assigning of primary group memberships when authenticating via
Winbind.
* Several build fixes.

o Bartosz Antosik <ant...@gmail.com>
* BUG #5617: Fix freezing Windows Explorer on WinXP while browsing
Samba shares.

o Andrew Bartlett <abar...@samba.org>
* Include stdlib.h to get a prototype for free().

o Yannick Bergeron <yabe...@ca.ibm.com>
* Solve an IBM XL C/C++ compiler error encountered in get_exit_code()
auth_errors array initialization in client/smbspool.c.
* Use NGROUPS_MAX instead of 32 for the max group value in
rep_initgroups().

o Günther Deschner <g...@samba.org>
* Fix build warning.
* Add add c++ guard to netapi.

o Steve French <ste...@smf-t60p.smfdom>
* Fix compile warning in cifs.upcall.
* Add "dns_resolver" key type to cifs.upcall.

o SATOH Fumiyasu <fum...@osstech.co.jp>
* BUG 5688: Fix orphaned LPQ processes if socket address is invalid.

o Volker Lendecke <v...@samba.org>
* BUG 5684: Fix removal of dead records in tdb files.
* Fix coverity IDs 595, 596.
* Fix smb_len calculation for chained requests.

o Herb Lewis <he...@samba.org>
* Fix output of test status.

o Jim McDonough <jm...@samba.org>
* Fix smbclient connections to older servers.

o Andrew Tridgell <tri...@samba.org>
* Fix a fd leak when trying to regain contact to a domain controller
in Winbind.
* Fix permissions on ctdb databases.
* Fix passing back success when a function had in fact failed in two
places.

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA). The source code can be downloaded
from:

http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/

The release notes are available online at:

http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/history/samba-3.2.2.html

Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
(https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

--Enjoy
The Samba Team

Lars Müller

Aug 21, 2008, 5:20:06 PM8/21/08
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:44:48PM +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
[ 8< ]

> Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from
>
> http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

RPM package installation sources of Samba 3.2.2 (STABLE) for SUSE Linux
products are available at ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/STABLE/

The same package installation sources are also available at
http://download.Samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/SuSE/

For easier collaboration Samba packages are also provided by the
openSUSE Build Service for many different Linux flavors[1] at
http://en.opensuse.org/Samba#openSUSE_Build_Service

If you encounter any problems with these packages please don't blame the
Samba Team. Instead file a bug to https://bugzilla.Samba.org/, pick
product Samba 3.2, then select 'component' Packaging and set 'assign to'
to samba-maintainers at suse dot de. Or use http://bugzilla.Novell.com/
with the same assignee instead.

For general information about Samba as part of SUSE Linux based products
see http://en.openSUSE.org/Samba For reporting bugs and how to collect
advanced debugging information see http://en.openSUSE.org/Bugs/Samba

Our customers, our products, our responsibility.

Have a lot of fun...

Lars Müller - for the Novell Samba Team

[1] Currently these are CentOS, Fedora, Mandriva, RedHat Enterprise
(RHEL), SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE), and openSUSE.
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Tim Evans

Aug 21, 2008, 10:00:11 PM8/21/08
Karolin Seeger wrote:

> o Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.

On Solaris 10 (Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC), the build
completes, but starting the daemons results in:

# /etc/init.d/samba start
ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
ld.so.1: nmbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

Configure command was:

CC=cc ./configure --with-acl-support --with-included-popt
--with-ldap=no --with-ads=no

Previously, the make failed with reference to the same shared libs, as
was reported by others on this list.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117

James Kosin

Aug 22, 2008, 8:40:05 AM8/22/08
>> o Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.
>
>On Solaris 10 (Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC), the build
>completes, but starting the daemons results in:
>
># /etc/init.d/samba start
>ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
>Killed
>ld.so.1: nmbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
>Killed
>
>Configure command was:
>
> CC=cc ./configure --with-acl-support --with-included-popt
>--with-ldap=no --with-ads=no
>
>Previously, the make failed with reference to the same shared libs, as
>was reported by others on this list.

Tim,

You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.

James

Brian H. Nelson

Aug 22, 2008, 9:20:17 AM8/22/08
James Kosin wrote:
> Tim,
> You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.
>
> James

On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.

Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that
include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any
applicable binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or
'-R $prefix/lib' with Solaris ld).

If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the
libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps
/usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make
samba work should NOT be required.

-Brian

Brian H. Nelson Youngstown State University
System Administrator Media and Academic Computing
bnelson[at]cis.ysu.edu

Christoph Kaegi

Aug 22, 2008, 9:40:10 AM8/22/08
On 21.08-21:42, Tim Evans wrote:
> Karolin Seeger wrote:
>

>> o Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.
>
> On Solaris 10 (Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC), the build completes,
> but starting the daemons results in:
>
> # /etc/init.d/samba start
> ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed
> ld.so.1: nmbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed
>
> Configure command was:
>
> CC=cc ./configure --with-acl-support --with-included-popt --with-ldap=no
> --with-ads=no
>
> Previously, the make failed with reference to the same shared libs, as was
> reported by others on this list.

Add something like

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/samba -R/usr/lib/samba"

to your environment, with paths pointing to where the samba libs
are going to be installed.

Christoph Kaegi ka...@zhaw.ch

James Kosin

Aug 22, 2008, 10:20:14 AM8/22/08
>> You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to >the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.
>>
>> James
>>

>On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.
>
>Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that
>include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any
>applicable binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or
>'-R $prefix/lib' with Solaris ld).
>
>If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the
>libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps
>/usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make
>samba work should NOT be required.
>
>-Brian

Well anyway, the problem is that ld cannot find the dynamic runtime libraries for samba. This is a common problem when the libraries are not installed in the correct place or ld is not told the new location for the required libraries.
I yield the rest of the discussion to Brian who is a Solaris EXPERT.

:->

James

Daniel Eischen

Aug 22, 2008, 12:00:11 PM8/22/08
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> On 21.08-21:42, Tim Evans wrote:
>> Karolin Seeger wrote:
>>

>>> o Fix creation and installation of shared libraries.
>>
>> On Solaris 10 (Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC), the build completes,
>> but starting the daemons results in:
>>
>> # /etc/init.d/samba start
>> ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
>> Killed
>> ld.so.1: nmbd: fatal: libtalloc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
>> Killed
>>
>> Configure command was:
>>
>> CC=cc ./configure --with-acl-support --with-included-popt --with-ldap=no
>> --with-ads=no
>>
>> Previously, the make failed with reference to the same shared libs, as was
>> reported by others on this list.
>>

> Add something like
>
> export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/samba -R/usr/lib/samba"
>
> to your environment, with paths pointing to where the samba libs
> are going to be installed.

This is a band-aid. The binaries should be rebuilt with the
linker's -R or -rpath option.

--
DE

Daniel Eischen

Aug 22, 2008, 12:00:18 PM8/22/08
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Brian H. Nelson wrote:

> James Kosin wrote:
>> Tim,
>> You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an
>> entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the directory where the libraries are
>> kept for samba.
>>
>> James
>>

> On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.
>
> Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that
> include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any applicable
> binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or '-R $prefix/lib'
> with Solaris ld).
>
> If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the
> libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps
> /usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make samba
> work should NOT be required.

Exactly! I had the same problem, I believe with 3.0.31. I
think I solved it by editing the Makefile (after configuring
samba) to add '-R $prefix/lib' as described above.

On Solaris, the configure step _should_ generate a Makefile
with the -R (or -rpath) option above, but it does not.

--
DE

James Kosin

Aug 22, 2008, 1:40:10 PM8/22/08
Aug 22, 2008, 1:50:08 PM8/22/08
Aug 22, 2008, 1:50:11 PM8/22/08

James Kosin wrote:

> Maybe, we should have an option. Packagers don't really want or need to
> modify their 'ld' settings with the '-R' option. Or really install in
> the same path as the destination system for packaging.

The odd thing is that the 3.0.x series works correctly, with no diddling

of configure options or the makefile.

--

Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
http://www.come-here.com/News/ | tke...@tkevans.com

Tim Evans

Aug 22, 2008, 1:50:10 PM8/22/08

James Kosin wrote:

> Maybe, we should have an option. Packagers don't really want or need to
> modify their 'ld' settings with the '-R' option. Or really install in
> the same path as the destination system for packaging.

The odd thing is that the pre-3.2 series works correctly, with no diddling

of configure options or the makefile.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
http://www.come-here.com/News/ | tke...@tkevans.com

Daniel Eischen

Aug 22, 2008, 3:40:16 PM8/22/08

It only affects the binaries produced when using the option.
Packages/binaries can be built by any user, -R doesn't require
root privileges.

> The bigger issue may be having the libraries actually being installed in
> a shared area known by ld on the destination system, as oppose to HARD
> CODING or RE-CONFIGURING ld to accept a new location.... hmmm....
>
> The '-rpath' option would cause issues if a third party developed tools
> that linked to libnetapi.so in the normal way of using '-lnetapi'...
> causing confusion when porting to another platform where the libraries
> may/could be located elsewhere.
> The -R option looks harmless enough; but, packagers (RPM, etc) might
> take notice of ld not operating correctly after building a package for
> release.

Using -rpath/-R is the norm for Solaris packages. Samba
already is built with knowledge of where it is installed
and where its lib, data, var, etc directories reside.

What is _not_ the norm, is having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
order for your applications to work. Take a look at all
the packages at sunfreeware.com - they are all built for
/usr/local and, at least from hundred or so packages I've
installed from there, none require LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work
when their libraries are in /usr/local/lib.

--
DE

James Kosin

Aug 22, 2008, 4:20:12 PM8/22/08
>Using -rpath/-R is the norm for Solaris packages. Samba
>already is built with knowledge of where it is installed
>and where its lib, data, var, etc directories reside.
>
>What is _not_ the norm, is having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
>order for your applications to work. Take a look at all
>the packages at sunfreeware.com - they are all built for
>/usr/local and, at least from hundred or so packages I've
>installed from there, none require LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work
>when their libraries are in /usr/local/lib.
>
>--
>DE

Actually, I'll have to check to see if Michael back-ported the configure
option to specify the destination directory for the libraries. The
default seems to be in the %prefix/lib/samba directory with many
packages moving them to the %prefix/lib directory and keeping the rest
in the %prefix/lib/samba structure.

James K.

Nicholas Brealey

Aug 22, 2008, 5:20:07 PM8/22/08
On Solaris I think the best option for packages which have a directory
structure like:

package/bin
package/lib

is to link the executables with:
-R$ORIGIN/../lib

(In a Makefile use: LDFLAGS = -R\$$ORIGIN/../lib)

This means the package can installed anywhere and still pick up the
correct libraries.

Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH or crle is bad practice.

On Linux you can get similar results by linking with:

-Wl,-zorigin,-rpath,$ORIGIN/../lib

(In a Makefile use: LDFLAGS = -Wl,-zorigin,-rpath,\$$ORIGIN/../lib)

The use of $ORIGIN is an unfortunate design choice because of $ having a
special meaning in shells and make. In can be hard or impossible to work
out the correct level of quoting required with configure scripts so it
is often easiest just to edit the Makefiles after they have been
generated by the configure script. libtool is a real pain: I have not
yet worked out how to get libtool to use $ORIGIN in the RUNPATH.

Nick

George R. Kasica

Aug 25, 2008, 1:10:09 PM8/25/08
Still no joy on the libraries being in the right places here after a

cd source
./configure --with-ldap=no
make
make install

[source]# /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries:
libtalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[ource]# /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
/usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries:
libtalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

What can I provide you with to help troubleshoot this issue??

George

===[George R. Kasica]=== +1 262 677 0766
President +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc. Jackson, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
geo...@netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186

Dennis Clarke

Aug 25, 2008, 1:30:13 PM8/25/08

> Still no joy on the libraries being in the right places here after a

works fine for me :-)

Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000
#
# /etc/init.d/cswsamba start
[SAMBA] Removing stale nmbd.pid.
[SAMBA] Removing stale smbd.pid.
Starting samba...
#
# ldd /opt/csw/sbin/smbd
libthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
libldap-2.3.so.0 => /opt/csw/lib/pentium/libldap-2.3.so.0
liblber-2.3.so.0 => /opt/csw/lib/pentium/liblber-2.3.so.0
libpam.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpam.so.1
libsec.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsec.so.1
libsendfile.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsendfile.so.1
libresolv.so.2 => /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
libnsl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
libsocket.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
libiconv.so.2 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libiconv.so.2
libpopt.so.0 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libpopt.so.0
libtalloc.so.1 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libtalloc.so.1
libtdb.so.1 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libtdb.so.1
libwbclient.so.0 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libwbclient.so.0
libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1
libgen.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgen.so.1
libnet.so => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libnet.so
libsasl2.so.2 => /opt/csw/lib/i386/libsasl2.so.2
libssl.so.0.9.8 => /opt/csw/lib/pentium_pro/libssl.so.0.9.8
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /opt/csw/lib/pentium_pro/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
libcmd.so.1 => /usr/lib/libcmd.so.1
libmp.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
libintl.so.3 => /opt/csw/lib/libintl.so.3

# /opt/csw/bin/smbstatus

Samba version 3.2.2
PID Username Group Machine
9583 smbtest samba athlon (192.168.35.212)

Service pid machine Connected at
IPC$ 9583 athlon Mon Aug 25 13:19:16 2008
share042 9583 athlon Mon Aug 25 13:19:16 2008

No locked files

# /opt/csw/bin/smbstatus

Samba version 3.2.2
PID Username Group Machine
9583 smbtest samba athlon (192.168.35.212)

Service pid machine Connected at
share042 9583 athlon Mon Aug 25 13:19:16 2008

Locked files:
Pid Uid DenyMode Access R/W Oplock
SharePath Name Time
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Quincy Jones - Moanin'.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:39 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Ella Fitzgerald - Mack The Knife.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40
2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:39
2008
9583 12345 DENY_NONE 0x20089 RDONLY LEVEL_II
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Swan Silvertones - Mary Don't You Weep.mp3 Mon Aug 25
13:19:42 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Charles Brown - Driftin' Blues.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40
2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Oscar Peterson - Brotherhood of Man.mp3 Mon Aug 25
13:19:39 2008
9583 12345 DENY_NONE 0x100001 RDONLY NONE
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him Mon Aug 25 13:19:39 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Harry James and The Boogie Woogie Trio - Boo Woo.mp3 Mon
Aug 25 13:19:40 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Duke Ellington - Solitude.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Artie Shaw - Stardust.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Jimmy Rushing - Sent for you yesterday and here you come
today.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:39 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Aretha Franklin - Respect.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Nat King Cole - Sweet Lorraine.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:39
2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Willie Nelson - Always On My Mind.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:39
2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Art Tatum - How High The Moon (live).mp3 Mon Aug 25
13:19:40 2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Hank Jones - We're all together.mp3 Mon Aug 25 13:19:40
2008
9583 12345 DENY_WRITE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/export/nfs/samba/share_042 music/ripped/Ray Charles - music that
matters to him/Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.mp3 Mon Aug 25
13:19:40 2008

#

Daniel L. Miller

Aug 26, 2008, 6:50:11 PM8/26/08
Since all I saw were bugfixes, no feature changes - do we need to
*gently* press the Debian team to use 3.2.2, instead of 3.2.1?

--
Daniel

Jeremy Allison

Aug 26, 2008, 7:40:08 PM8/26/08
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:42:13PM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Since all I saw were bugfixes, no feature changes - do we need to
> *gently* press the Debian team to use 3.2.2, instead of 3.2.1?

That would help....

Christian Perrier

Aug 27, 2008, 1:50:10 AM8/27/08
Quoting Jeremy Allison (j...@samba.org):
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:42:13PM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> > Since all I saw were bugfixes, no feature changes - do we need to
> > *gently* press the Debian team to use 3.2.2, instead of 3.2.1?
>
> That would help....

We're doing our best, folks.

3.2.2 packages are ready (working the package wasn't that
straightforward after some binary renaming that happened for cifs
utilities..as well as some (good) changes to libraries installation).

3.2.1 entered testing two days ago and we now need to talk with our
release team to get a pre-agreement by them that they will accept
3.2.2 for lenny. Steve Langasek is the one who know how to write such
mails (he combines two qualities I don't have: being an English native
speaker and understandign Samba's code...:-) ).

We also have issues we need to work on:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495653 has to be
reported to you guys

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=496073 is also a
concern. This is Bugzilla bug #5715...

I think we'll make it, indeed. But, at least for #496073, we know
we'll need another upload for a very probably 3.2.3...:-)

As, and that's a major difference with, say OpenSuse packaging, all
this happens on our unpaid time, we sometimes lag behind the two
efficient Samba developers...-)

Dennis Clarke

Aug 27, 2008, 2:00:27 AM8/27/08

> Quoting Jeremy Allison (j...@samba.org):
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:42:13PM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>> > Since all I saw were bugfixes, no feature changes - do we need to
>> > *gently* press the Debian team to use 3.2.2, instead of 3.2.1?
>>
>> That would help....
>

> We're doing our best, folks.
>
> 3.2.2 packages are ready (working the package wasn't that
> straightforward after some binary renaming that happened for cifs
> utilities..as well as some (good) changes to libraries installation).

out of more than just idle curiosity .. how are you going to deliver
Samba? As one package or as eight or nine little broken up packages such
that other packages which have dependencies will need to only install
something small?

I hope you can see why I am asking.

Dennis

Christian Perrier

Aug 27, 2008, 3:20:12 AM8/27/08
Quoting Dennis Clarke (dcl...@blastwave.org):

> out of more than just idle curiosity .. how are you going to deliver
> Samba? As one package or as eight or nine little broken up packages such
> that other packages which have dependencies will need to only install
> something small?
>
> I hope you can see why I am asking.

samba in Debian has "always" (at least for so many years that I can't
really remember unless digging in changelogs) been split into several
packages:

bubulle@mykerinos:~/src/debian/samba/samba-3.2.2/debian$ grep "^Package:" control
Package: samba
Package: samba-common
Package: samba-tools
Package: smbclient
Package: swat
Package: samba-doc
Package: samba-doc-pdf
Package: smbfs
Package: libpam-smbpass
Package: libsmbclient
Package: libsmbclient-dev
Package: winbind
Package: samba-dbg
Package: libwbclient0

I think that anyone can easily spot what is in what package..:-)

Michael Adam

Aug 27, 2008, 9:10:10 AM8/27/08
Hi folks!

Nicholas Brealey wrote:
> On Solaris I think the best option for packages which have a directory
> structure like:
>
> package/bin
> package/lib
>
> is to link the executables with:
> -R$ORIGIN/../lib
>
> (In a Makefile use: LDFLAGS = -R\$$ORIGIN/../lib)
>
> This means the package can installed anywhere and still pick up the
> correct libraries.
>
> Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH or crle is bad practice.

Well, we had the discussion of whether to use rpath
or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or ld.so.conf) already on this
and/or the samba-technical mailing list.
(I should look up that thread...)

> James Kosin wrote:

Well on the other hand, in Linux distributions,
it is considered bad practise to link using an RPATH.
You either put your libs into /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib
or else use a ld.so.conf file.

So there are advocates for and more significantly
against each of rpath and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I decided not to compile with an RPATH because
at that time most people argued that this is a bad thing.

1. easiest solution: put libs into folder searched by
dynamic linker (e.g. /usr/lib)

2. next solution: use LD_LIBRARY_PATH when installing
to /some/package/dir (or use an ld.so.conf file when
available)

3. modify LDFLAGS to use an rpath.

I had the plan to provide the option of linking with an
rpath as a configure option. But it is not so easy to get
it right for all supported platforms (Nicholas only mentioned
solaris and Linux...). And I did not have the time yet to
complete this in an upstream compliant manner.

Patches welcome!!

> James Kosin wrote:
> >Actually, I'll have to check to see if Michael back-ported the configure
> >option to specify the destination directory for the libraries. The
> >default seems to be in the %prefix/lib/samba directory with many
> >packages moving them to the %prefix/lib directory and keeping the rest
> >in the %prefix/lib/samba structure.

* creation and installation of shared libs as filename = SONAME
and symlink .so --> .so.VERSION is fixed in samba 3.2.2.
(Bug #5592)

* splitting of libdir into libdir (for the libs) and modulesdir
(for shared modules and such) is done in v3-devel / v3-3-test.
This probably won't go into 3.2.X since it is a new feature
and not really a bug.
This will be 3.3.0 (planned for Dec 15, 2008).

Thanks for your thougths and comments.
This is much appreciated.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <m...@sernet.de> <ob...@samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9

Michael Adam

Aug 27, 2008, 9:30:19 AM8/27/08
Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Nicholas Brealey wrote:
> > James Kosin wrote:

To be more concrete:

I suggest adding a configure option "--enable-rpath"
that adds the appropriate LDFLAGS when appropriate for the
build system (e.g. solaris and linux for a start) and
gives notice when the system is unsupported (for rpath).

See

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=3a0f781352f364ce625a35ffd78257b27d984c47

and

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=6850dc242b010bdcef5e427e51be04201f55b7f3

for what has already been in the sources and has been removed.

By the way: It is not strictly necessary to modify the sources to
create binaries linked with an rpath: By setting an appropriate
"LDFLAGS" environment variable containing an RPATH option before
calling configure, you can use an RPATH option for your install
without modifying the sources, since the configure script picks
up any externally set LDFLAGS and CFLAGS settings! ... :-)

Brian H. Nelson

Aug 27, 2008, 9:50:10 AM8/27/08
Michael Adam wrote:
> To be more concrete:
>
> I suggest adding a configure option "--enable-rpath"
> that adds the appropriate LDFLAGS when appropriate for the
> build system (e.g. solaris and linux for a start) and
> gives notice when the system is unsupported (for rpath).
>
> See
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=3a0f781352f364ce625a35ffd78257b27d984c47
>
> and
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=6850dc242b010bdcef5e427e51be04201f55b7f3
>
> for what has already been in the sources and has been removed.

From link #2:
> What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
> updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.

Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
having trouble coming up with an example.

Thanks,
-Brian

Brian H. Nelson Youngstown State University
System Administrator Media and Academic Computing
bnelson[at]cis.ysu.edu

Daniel Eischen

Aug 27, 2008, 12:40:12 PM8/27/08

Yes, it if is not on be default, then having a knob to enable
it is the next best thing.

> See
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=3a0f781352f364ce625a35ffd78257b27d984c47
>
> and
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=6850dc242b010bdcef5e427e51be04201f55b7f3
>
> for what has already been in the sources and has been removed.
>
> By the way: It is not strictly necessary to modify the sources to
> create binaries linked with an rpath: By setting an appropriate
> "LDFLAGS" environment variable containing an RPATH option before
> calling configure, you can use an RPATH option for your install
> without modifying the sources, since the configure script picks
> up any externally set LDFLAGS and CFLAGS settings! ... :-)

That is nice to know too.

--
DE

Nicholas Brealey

Aug 27, 2008, 5:10:14 PM8/27/08
Brian H. Nelson wrote:

>> Michael Adam wrote:

>> What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
>> updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.
>

> Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
> having trouble coming up with an example.

I think there was an issue with RPATH in the executable taking higher
priority than the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and Linux
distributions updating libraries in a funny way (moving the old
libraries to a different directory).

On Solaris LD_LIBRARY_PATH always had a higher priority than RPATH
although I think this broke some standard. To comply with standards,
RUNPATH was introduced which has a lower priority than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
matching the behaviour of the Solaris RPATH. The -R option on Solaris
now sets both RPATH and RUNPATH but RPATH is ignored when RUNPATH is
present.

A cannot think of any objection to using -R with $ORIGIN on Solaris.

See:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/6mhm7pld8?a=view#indexterm-814

I don't see why there should be a problem on Linux provided the RPATH
only includes directories which are part of the Samba build and are
exclusive to Samba.

/opt/samba/bin, /opt/samba/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be OK.

/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would bad.

/usr/bin, /usr/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be very bad.

Nick

Christian Perrier

Aug 28, 2008, 2:00:17 AM8/28/08
> We're doing our best, folks.
>
> 3.2.2 packages are ready (working the package wasn't that
> straightforward after some binary renaming that happened for cifs
> utilities..as well as some (good) changes to libraries installation).
>
> 3.2.1 entered testing two days ago and we now need to talk with our
> release team to get a pre-agreement by them that they will accept
> 3.2.2 for lenny. Steve Langasek is the one who know how to write such
> mails (he combines two qualities I don't have: being an English native
> speaker and understandign Samba's code...:-) ).

Steve Langasek uploaded 3.2.3 packages in Debian unstable yesterday,
about two hours after Karolin announced it..:-)

These packages are targeted to enter Debian testing, ie the
"soon-to-be-released-when-it's-ready" next Debian version.

I don't know whether it will make it to Ubuntu
"whatever-funky-name-they'll-give-to-their-next-version" but I bet it
will as I suppose that Steve will take care of this..:-)

L.P.H. van Belle

Aug 28, 2008, 2:40:07 AM8/28/08
nice that debian maintainers are fast this time :D

27 August 2008 - Samba 3.2.3 Available for Download
.. security release ..

Great ! thanx.

Louis

Michael Adam

Aug 28, 2008, 5:50:08 AM8/28/08
Nicholas Brealey wrote:
> Brian H. Nelson wrote:
> >Michael Adam wrote:
> >
> >>What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
> >>updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.
> >
> >Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
> >having trouble coming up with an example.
> >
> I think there was an issue with RPATH in the executable taking higher
> priority than the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and Linux
> distributions updating libraries in a funny way (moving the old
> libraries to a different directory).

I think that pretty much nails it down.

This for instance makes it impossible (on Linux) to make test
from a source/build directory with RPATH without doing
"make install" first.

> On Solaris LD_LIBRARY_PATH always had a higher priority than RPATH
> although I think this broke some standard. To comply with standards,
> RUNPATH was introduced which has a lower priority than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> matching the behaviour of the Solaris RPATH. The -R option on Solaris
> now sets both RPATH and RUNPATH but RPATH is ignored when RUNPATH is
> present.

Ah, interesting to know.

> A cannot think of any objection to using -R with $ORIGIN on Solaris.

Why not simple give it the absolute LIBDIR path from configure?

By the way, as already stated in another mail:
You can link your binaries with any RPATH you like by calling
configure this way (without modifications to samba code):

LDFLAGS="-R..." ./configure --prefix=... ...