GUI for vsftpd

Robert C

May 18, 2004, 8:59:41 PM5/18/04

Is there a GUI for vsftpd ?
google came up nothing

thanks

ynotssor

May 18, 2004, 10:28:11 PM5/18/04
"Robert C" <rc...@panix.com> wrote in message
news:c8ebe1$56j$1...@reader2.panix.com

> Is there a GUI for vsftpd ?
> google came up nothing

Why would one want a GUI for a daemon?

Read any README and INSTALL files that come with the software,
ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans/untar/vsftpd-1.2.2/FAQ and edit
/etc/vsftpd.conf to suit ones tastes is about all there is to it.

tony

--
use hotmail for email replies

Michael Heiming

May 19, 2004, 2:21:48 AM5/19/04

Peer Hebing

May 19, 2004, 3:44:20 AM5/19/04
Hi

ynotssor schrieb:

> "Robert C" <rc...@panix.com> wrote in message
>

>> Is there a GUI for vsftpd ?
>> google came up nothing
>

> Why would one want a GUI for a daemon?

Look at his email-header :
I guess those people reboot their machine when a problem
occurs as well ;-)

--
======================
Peer Hebing

Tommy Reynolds

May 19, 2004, 6:25:10 AM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:21:48 +0000, Michael Heiming wrote:

> That's IMHO the reason for all those questions for some GUI
> config tool and we shouldn't forget that it takes some time to
> get used to working from the shell. But one will never regret
> it and laugh about complicated and time consuming GUI tools ones
> he'll be comfortable with working what makes Linux shine and adds
> tremendous power to the system, GNU bash.;)

NO flame intended, just talking points. Consider any ruffled
feathers smoothed in advance.

Well, I have the nickname "NOGUI" in Japan ;-) so here's my position
on this.

We will see more casual sysadmins as the M$ thundering herd continue
to notice Linux. During their transition period, they will expect
and _need_ such GUI tools, at least until they get their mind right.

Personally, I believe GUI admin tools are a terrible deceit because
any GUI instrument provides so much insulation from what is actually
taking place that the GUI provides a delusion of understanding.
While that could be OK as long as the GUI subsystem is always available,
causing admins to rely on a GUI tool is a terrible disservice.
Sometimes to repair a system, all you have is a serial console: if
you don't know how to edit "/etc/fstab" you can't properly perform
your job function. It's sort of like having your disk drive
diagnostic program stored only on the disk drive. (I did that once.)

I've taught a lot of our KVM cousins. When shown the proper technique,
most say: That was easy but _how_ do I find that one little tool
among all the hundreds of system programs?

An approach I would support would be to take the FAQ for a program
and then implement a Wizard that gives a button to automatically
performs the "how-to" portion of the answer. As opposed to a full
GUI, this limited functionality may take the thorn out of our KVM
cousins paw but, not being a heroic do-all GUI, would also
demonstrate the proper tools and technique for that underlying
program.

Take all this with a grain of salt; I don't do GUI's ;-)

Cheery-bye!

Robert Chin

May 19, 2004, 9:50:54 AM5/19/04

gee....this must be the attitude corner...I thought this
only happens in the Oracle DBA corner...

Do you honestly think this kind of "screw-the-gui" attitude
is help in promoting Linux & combat the m$ monopoly ?

Brian

May 19, 2004, 10:26:01 AM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:50:54 -0400, Robert Chin wrote:

> gee....this must be the attitude corner...I thought this
> only happens in the Oracle DBA corner...

<sigh>
He started with:

> NO flame intended, just talking points. Consider any ruffled
> feathers smoothed in advance.

And finished with:

> Take all this with a grain of salt; I don't do GUI's ;-)

So I take it yours must be the "no humour" corner?

> Do you honestly think this kind of "screw-the-gui" attitude
> is help in promoting Linux & combat the m$ monopoly ?

So what are we now - anti-M$ footsoldiers? Jeez, I think I'll pass on the
offer of a rattling sabre...

B.
--
"Come, Pinky, or I shall have to hurt you."

Andy Fraser

May 19, 2004, 10:27:06 AM5/19/04
In comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Chin uttered these immortal words:

> Do you honestly think this kind of "screw-the-gui" attitude
> is help in promoting Linux & combat the m$ monopoly ?

My philosophy is GUIs for end user tasks, command line for admin tasks.

KDE 3.2.2 is excellent and I prefer to read news and mail in KNode and
KMail. They are end user tasks. Good desktop environments and end user
software is important in attracting Windows end users to Linux.

vsftpd is a daemon though. You configure it then leave it and tweak as
required as your needs change. There's no need for a GUI for that. If it's
too hard for you without a GUI then maybe that tells you you should learn
more about Linux system administration because setting up any daemon is an
admin's job not an end user's job. At a push you can use Webmin with the
3rd party vsftpd module.

Why do people insist that Linux has to follow Microsoft's lead and have GUIs
for everything? You pretty much have to have a GUI to admin a Windows
server but this is not the case with Linux. Linux is not Windows and I hope
to God it never tries to be just to attract a few extra users.

--
Andy.

Michael Heiming

May 19, 2004, 10:51:54 AM5/19/04

Michael Heiming

May 19, 2004, 11:06:45 AM5/19/04

Andy Fraser

May 19, 2004, 11:31:24 AM5/19/04
In comp.os.linux.misc, Michael Heiming uttered these immortal words:

>>> Why would one want a GUI for a daemon?
>
>> Look at his email-header :
>
> The thing I liked most about this thread, almost anyone
> complaining about GUIs in this thread used a GUI newsreader to
> bring us those words of wisdom...

I think the complaint is more about using GUIs for admin tasks. At least
that's my complaint. :-)

--
Andy.

Robert Chin

May 19, 2004, 11:40:51 AM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:06:45 +0000, Michael Heiming banged his/her head on
the keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind:

> recently built a new system, the one I'm typing from right now.
> Every piece of hw is working like a charm.;)

congrats...wish you could help me Linuxize my ThinkPad.

Dances With Crows

May 19, 2004, 12:36:23 PM5/19/04

the archives for your model#. Or post the make, model#, and a brief
account of what isn't working to comp.os.linux.portable . Read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for advice on asking good
questions on Usenet; "Sound dies after ACPI suspend on Thinkpad T40" is
much easier to solve than "OMG My c0mput3r duzn't play MUSIC!!1!".

http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

Tommy Reynolds

May 19, 2004, 12:45:42 PM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:50:54 -0400, Robert Chin wrote:

> Do you honestly think this kind of "screw-the-gui" attitude
> is help in promoting Linux & combat the m$ monopoly ?

Yes. Education is always better than ignorance. Everyone should be
able to clean their own clothes, cook their own food, change their
own oil and edit their own files.

Steep learning curves result in ease of use. GUI's pander to the
illiterate ;-) The original article that mentioned "user friendly"
talked about correctness and transparency, and emphatically not about
cyber patronizing.

Gee, that was fun. Flame off!

ynotssor

May 19, 2004, 3:41:44 PM5/19/04
In linux.redhat Peer Hebing <heb...@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

>Look at his email-header :
>I guess those people reboot their machine when a problem
>occurs as well ;-)

Yes, many people are conversant in a multitude of OSs, but there's always some child
who thinks that theirs is "the only way" and makes an issue of some arbitrary
newsreader.

--
use hotmail for any email replies

ynotssor

May 19, 2004, 4:00:51 PM5/19/04
In linux.redhat Tommy Reynolds <TommyR...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Personally, I believe GUI admin tools are a terrible deceit because
>any GUI instrument provides so much insulation from what is actually
>taking place that the GUI provides a delusion of understanding.
>While that could be OK as long as the GUI subsystem is always available,
>causing admins to rely on a GUI tool is a terrible disservice.

Exactly, and very well-put.

I found the transistion from commandline to X a little trying back in later
1980's, but then found it to highly configurable, even using uwm and twm.

The ability to have a xterms simultaneously open to Seattle US, Cern CH
and Canberra AU made life easy. Configuration was done with vi in each
window.

Using a GUI for administration only allows what the GUI programmer has
enabled, and masks the underlying structure of the configuration tasks.

On some servers, all we had were 132-column tractor-feed paper consoles,
and I came to discover what those perforated edges are called. They're
called "chit".

The reason I know this is because my boss, who was Puerto Rican, said
to be be sure and tear that chit off of there before handing it in.

tony

Peer Hebing

May 19, 2004, 4:26:17 PM5/19/04
ynotssor schrieb:

> In linux.redhat Peer Hebing <heb...@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
>

>>Look at his email-header :
>>I guess those people reboot their machine when a problem
>>occurs as well ;-)
>

> Yes, many people are conversant in a multitude of OSs, but there's always some child
> who thinks that theirs is "the only way" and makes an issue of some arbitrary
> newsreader.

Thatæ„€ not the point.
And whatæ„€ your problem with me being a little bit childish?

Peer Hebing

> --
> use hotmail for any email replies

Robert Chin

May 19, 2004, 4:38:37 PM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:26:01 +0100, Brian banged his/her head on the

keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind:

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:50:54 -0400, Robert Chin wrote:

>> gee....this must be the attitude corner...I thought this
>> only happens in the Oracle DBA corner...
>
> <sigh>
> He started with:
>
>> NO flame intended, just talking points. Consider any ruffled
>> feathers smoothed in advance.
>
> And finished with:
>
>> Take all this with a grain of salt; I don't do GUI's ;-)
>
> So I take it yours must be the "no humour" corner?

<sigh>...I was replying to the THREAD...take a look at the OTHER "attitude" reply messages to my original
question...you followup to every single reply ???

Brian

May 19, 2004, 6:35:50 PM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 16:38:37 -0400, Robert Chin wrote:

[snips]

> <sigh>...I was replying to the THREAD...

Quite possibly - but you posted a followup to the post
<pan.2004.05.19....@yahoo.com>
made by Tommy Reynolds

> take a look at the OTHER "attitude" reply messages to my original
> question...

I already did, and I remain unimpressed by your responses.

> you followup to every single reply ???

Now now, don't be silly.

B.
--
Windows: a mono-culture of maximum vulnerability.

Dave Brown

May 20, 2004, 10:42:10 AM5/20/04

Perhaps the OP is less interested in a GUI than a 'tool'. (Whether it
runs in X, curses, or over an http connection is usually irrelevant.)
And there's some quibble about the meaning of "CLI" in this thread:
editing a configuration file in vi is not CLI; invoking a daemon with
flags is CLI. Maybe they're referring to "text mode".

Unfortunately, configuring many servers has become an extremely complex
task. If your only "tool" is vi, you've probably got a lot of studying,
perhaps trial-and-error, maybe even hours of frustration ahead. I know a
couple of guys that can take on sendmail.cf--I don't really want to.

I have some reluctance to use tools, since so many disappoint. (Remember
linuxconf?) And for many services, webmin doesn't do much more that
present a field-based editor for a configuration file--you still have a
lot of studying to do to figure out what to put in the fields.

Nonetheless, I tried to set up CUPS to be a print server, and was totally
frustrated with the "vi approach", and even with their web-based
configurator. I never would have gotten it to work without RedHat's print
configurator, (although it took me a while to find "sharing"--not coming
from the Windows world, I don't immediately think of "sharing" when it
comes to servers). I understand that 'kprinter' can do the job as well.

I also found that having finally set it up with RedHat's tool, I could
break it by simply accessing the configuration via the CUPS web interface!
What a tool! (RedHat has a note in their configuration guide warning
about that.)

--
Dave Brown Austin, TX

Robert Chin

May 20, 2004, 6:47:36 PM5/20/04

congrats...wish you could help me Linuxize my ThinkPad.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:06:45 +0000, Michael Heiming banged his/her head on

the keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind:

> recently built a new system, the one I'm typing from right now.

m.marien

Jun 1, 2004, 11:21:19 AM6/1/04

"ynotssor" <ynot...@example.net> wrote in message

There is nothing more encouraging then being belittled by the experts. A
little late for this battle, but what the hey eh.

Is SWAT a GUI or just a tool ? I prefer a Windows based editor to tweak my
smb.conf file, but I use SWAT as a quick index to the documentation. I
prefer Borland C++ Builder, but I keep a browser open at MSDN. You may have
a preference, but if you limit yourself to command line tools you're missing
out on a lot of good resources. I run a mix of Windows/Linux servers because
there are benefits to both. And for you CLI diehards, yes there are some
command line tools for configuring your Windows server believe it or not. It
even has a text based ? EDIT or if you're grown accustom to WordStar and
refuse to change, Editor from DR DOS works well also.

covert...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2020, 5:43:59 AM4/6/20
I have found a couple but they are HTTP based, not an app based...

I have been battling my vsftpd install that refuses any connection yet the server is runing.

I have consulted many tutorials on install to congig, the install part is heavily covered, most of the really needed config business is not well covered and have noticed this ignoran attitude of some who do belittle others over not being able to install, set up, configure, well actually, shitty programming, retarded implementations of something that should really be childs play, Linux makes things overly complicated.

Also programming is shit, I can't install by the synaptic package manager, it does fuck all.

I have to commandline all my commands and sudo is falkey as shit, often having to log in as the super user to get the job done, I find that modern linux compared to that of 20 years ago, is no better than windows and this legacy support seems to have been dumped, leaving a trail of perfectly good tech that can be used but from the stigma of being slower or older or not enough bits...

I think that Linux users need an attitude check to be quite frank, my experience (overall) is that they are very rude, hinder (as is my experience) or not at all helpful with their derisory remarks, as I have witnessed in these threads here.