How to run RHEL 8.2 on Windows WSL2 (bash shell/terminal only)

Dev Linux

Aug 17, 2020, 11:00:25 AM8/17/20
I want to run RHEL 8.2 in a bash terminal (no UI) under Windows 10 Pro (2004) that comes with WSL2

1. Is there a list of steps anywhere, that would help me download what I need, and get RHEL 8.2 running under WSL2?

2. What would I need to download? (need direct URL - there are so many options for RHEL 8.2 , I am confused)

3. What steps would I need to take to get this running locally on my Windows 10 machine?

Notes:
==> I don't want to run any existing RHEL available in the Windows store, I want to roll my own (not that it's there), but should be - are you listening Redhat?

==> I don't want to run RHEL 8.2 under VirtualBox or any other virtualization technology, just WSL2

If anyone at Redhat, has experience with this, and has actually done this with RHEL 8.2 and WSL2 and has it working swimingly, please reply, would love to get this up and running for a higher level of productivity, scripting and automation on my Windows dev box.

Edna Freon

Oct 23, 2020, 11:30:44 AM10/23/20
Try cygwin. Does it all. Add it the cygwin path to the
Windows system path to have all the bash commands handy.

Bill

Shiv Kumar

Dec 6, 2023, 9:53:54 AM12/6/23
Please reply with your best number and available time to connect preferably with your recent resume to discuss more details.

Here is the Job description for your reference:-

Title : Unix/Linux Admin
Location : New York City NY
Contract (onsite)
Rate on W2 OR C2C basis

Job Requirements
Provide dedicated support to all "Run the Bank" and "Change the Bank" activities for Global Unix infrastructure.
Manage various ticket systems.
Make the UNIX environment to be compliant with the technology roadmap, such as OS & hardware upgrades, 3rd party software upgrades, etc...
Rapid response to incidents and clients.
Work closely with UNIX engineering and third-party vendors to explore new technologies for business.
Work with the project delivery team on various projects for new infrastructure.
Interface with IT and business clients at all levels of the organization
Follow the Sun model (including weekend support): Global Unix team provides round the clock coverage.
Some out of hours and weekend work will be required to comply with applicable change windows.
Participating in disaster recovery exercises.
Support NetApp snapshot, snapmirror, Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF), and other replication technologies
Managing vendor support of server and storage
Strong knowledge of Linux Operating System
Strong working knowledge of server and storage performance and monitoring.
Ability and experience with building highly available, sustainable, manageable, and secure solutions.
Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
Must be able to work well with others as well as independently.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, multi-tasking environment
On call support to respond on weekend and off hours emergency issues.
Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux servers, TCP/IP, DFS/NFS, Active Directory and Kerberos.
Experience with cloud and virtualization technology.

Desired Skills:
Experience with at least one scripting language (Shell/Perl/Python).
Experience in connecting with a diverse set of clients to understand future business needs.
Experience in supporting financial business
Participate in and drive collaborative efforts to new technology, and ways of working to better serve an evolving client base.
Believes in value of diversity so we can reflect, connect and meet the diverse needs of our clients and employees around the world
[...]
Strong knowledge of Linux Operating Systems, such as Red Hat, SuSE is a plus.
[...]

Best Regards,
Shiv Kumar
Sr Talent Acquisition Sourcer
shiv...@kbs-s.com
Work : (469) -340- 4210
KBS Solutions LLC
Connect on LinkedIn URL : linkedin.com/in/shiv-kumar-76168360
Company Website : http://www.kbstechsolutions.com