Php cannot be installed on linux - newbie

Ann

Nov 8, 2003, 10:17:29 PM11/8/03
Hi!

I had to uninstall the php 4.2.2(that came along with linux
installation) to install 4.3.3 for some of my new applications to
work. The uninstallation went fine and the installation of 4.3.3 was
done in the following sequence after cd'ing into the php directory

./configure
make
make install

every thing seemed to go fine..

When i tried to see if package php is installed using
rpm -q php

I get the following message
package php not installed..

Why is this so? Can any one help pls?
Thanks..
Nisha

Lysergic Acid

Nov 8, 2003, 10:23:46 PM11/8/03
nsa...@yahoo.com (Ann) say:

> Hi!
>
> I had to uninstall the php 4.2.2(that came along with linux
> installation) to install 4.3.3 for some of my new applications to
> work. The uninstallation went fine and the installation of 4.3.3 was
> done in the following sequence after cd'ing into the php directory
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install

the rpm install and make install are two
different things.

rpm has a database of installed packages.

if you don't install using rpm (and a version
of p2p that has been built into an rpm
package ) then it won't
get added to the rpm database.

that doesn't mean you can't use it --

you may want to try using apt-get and
synaptic in the future ( automated package
download and install ) HOWEVER, their packages
aren't always the latest and greatest.

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 9, 2003, 2:27:37 AM11/9/03
Ann wrote:

Use "checkinstall" instead of "make install".
You get an rpm than
--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course